Wanted: Trunk Latch 'popper' and Spring

DEEPNHOCK

1990 Avanti covertible

Trunk latch 'should' have a little 'popper' lever and spring to pop the trunk up so you can lift it.

I put new gas struts on it, but it just sets there with the latch activating, but the trunk won't raise up at all to unlatch the latch.

Thanks ahead of time....

Jeff

DEEPNHOCK at gmail.com

2523498610038087468S600x600Q85.jpg

2734897700038087468S600x600Q85.jpg

Jeff

Hard to tell from the picture, might be easier if the cover was removed, but it looks a lot like Camaro, etc from the era. The spring loaded lever pivot mounts to the big hole and levers up on the "U" shape catch. I'd start there as they probably sourced about everything from the GM, the source of your cars frame and drive train.

Bob

Edited by BobS

Thanks, Bob...

I took the cover off, and looked deeper.

(Found the 'emergency' open aircraft cable pull under the rear body, and pulled the backup light out of it's socket testing it <lol>)

Spent a few hours surfing the web looking for a latch, and nothing I saw matched the style of latch on there.

I'll keep my eyes open. Right now it's a 2 person job to open the trunk lid...

Jeff

Jeff,

Hard to tell from the picture, might be easier if the cover was removed, but it looks a lot like Camaro, etc from the era. The spring loaded lever pivot mounts to the big hole and levers up on the "U" shape catch. I'd start there as they probably sourced about everything from the GM, the source of your cars frame and drive train.

Bob

1990 Avanti covertible

Trunk latch 'should' have a little 'popper' lever and spring to pop the trunk up so you can lift it.

I put new gas struts on it, but it just sets there with the latch activating, but the trunk won't raise up at all to unlatch the latch.

Thanks ahead of time....

Jeff

DEEPNHOCK at gmail.com

2523498610038087468S600x600Q85.jpg

2734897700038087468S600x600Q85.jpg

Jeff,

Will look at the one in my 88. to see whats missing.. . ;)

I don't know if anything is missing, or if my latch has been modified.

After doing some 'net searching, it looks like the trunk latch on this '90 Avanti is really a Monte Carlo hood latch turned upside down.

The extra holes I am looking at were used for either the finger pull, or the hood release cable.

It all works fine, but the trunk lid doesn't move up at all when the latch release button is pushed.

It clicks fine.

Am thinking of adding a simple 'door popper' to push the trunk open just enough to grip it and lift the trunk lid.

The lid stays open just fine now, with the new gas struts put in.

Getting there...slow but sure.

Your replies are all aprreciated...Thanks!

Jeff

Jeff,

Will look at the one in my 88. to see whats missing.. . ;)

On my 88 the trunk barely moves when it's released. You might try adjusting the latch downwards so there's a little more compression on the seal because I think that's all the spring there is pushing the lid up.

ErnieR

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the pic Ernie. That is exactly what I needed to confirm my confusion <lol>

Yessir, that's what I have.

I have decided to add a small adjustable 'door popper' to just lift the lid enough to allow you to go back and lift the trunk lid.

There's a spot to install it where it will not be noticable.

Thank you all for your help.

Jeff

Here's some pictures of a NOS latch I bought to adapt to the 64. Looks like you have all the pieces.

">