Power window motor 89 conv

89conv

My drivers power window quit,and started working and now quit again.I have the trim pannel off now. Before I start taking things apart would this be a GM from the donner car. The switch is good it is getting power to the motor. Last year I rebilt the two rear power windows, that was fun. Does.

any one have a proto call for pulling the window and or the motor out.

Thanks

Rich

Hi I have a 1988 Avanti convert and just went through rebuilding the rear window regulators. The pasenger rear wire frayed.

I have not gone through the front regulators yet trying calling this company....

I went through all the they came out of lebaron converts and other cars, don't waste your time. Even if you are so lucky to find what Avanti Motors used you would have to break the welds on the brackets they welded on so it would fit in the car, then reweld them on the one you found. I just got mine back from a company called Window Motor World inc out of Boone, NC 1-800-252-2649 ( windowmotorworld.net ) I had the regulator taken out and shipped. They replaced the motor with a newer one and replaced the cable with a thicker cable and guarantee it for 1 year. The cost for new motor, new cable and they payed shipping to me all for 150.00. They turned it around in one day. Save your time and energy and have these guys do it.

On the 89 convert the rear power windows were from a AMC Renualt Convert.I bought a complete unit on ebay and used the parts I needed. I also have 2 complete manual rear window units from a AMC Renualt.

• 2 weeks later...

My drivers power window quit,and started working and now quit again.I have the trim pannel off now. Before I start taking things apart would this be a GM from the donner car. The switch is good it is getting power to the motor. Last year I rebilt the two rear power windows, that was fun. Does.

Thanks

Rich

If it's any consolation, my '89 driver's side window did exactly the same thing Mine is getting power too. I'm going to do a some research. I'll let you know.

JB

Edited by James Bond

If the motors are like my '88 they are the same as my '76 Chrysler NY'er only difference is that right is left on the Avanti and vice-versa. Order new gears at the same time because the don't come with the motor and are probably ready for replacement. Cheap and important.

Just getting power from the switch isn't enough to operate the motor. The switch also grounds one wire while it powers the other so you need to make sure that there is a ground to the unpowered wire when the switch is activated.

In order to take some of the stress of the switches and replace mine with higher quality units I will be insalling BMW switches and relays. When I actually get to the job I'll post instructions.

Meanwhile, if you need to remove the motor...separate the glass from the regulator at the rollers, I used big spring camps to hold the glass up after it was separated. Take out all the bolts and maneuver the regualtor out. The regulator is spring loaded and will snap your finger off if you're holding it in the wrong spot when you unbolt the motor. Note the position of the spring before you undo it. It has to be positioned so it helps the window go up.

Install motor and new gear, it doesn't matter what position the regulator is in when you do it, and maneuver the regulator back in the door. There is a triangular mount that goes in only one way and you need to make sure that you don't use bolts that are too long as they will catch the arms and bind. Peak through the top of the door after everything is bolted up to look for possible spots of contact between bolts and regulator.

You can push the clips on the window rollers back down to their lock position and just push the pins on the regulator arms in. They will expand the clips and lock in place.

BTW, if you can't find the motors locally Rock Auto stocks them and the gears. 76 Chrysler Ny'er will get you the right stuff assuming the '89 is like the '88

ErnieR

Thanks

Rich

Edited by ernier