Studebaker Avanti Magnesium wheels?

grobb284

I found some magnesium wheels that have a distant similarity to the Avanti wheel cover.

Here is a photo of the original Avanti wheel cover I took from Ebay.

2984856511_1863e633b6.jpg

I have to agree with Tom (SBC96), his Mustang Cobra wheels probably look the closest. Especially with the defined edge of the concave center on his wheel .

AvantiDay_004a.jpg

Well I know it's a stretch, but these magnesium wheels look a distant cousin to the Avanti hubcap.

I'm hoping to run 18 x 9 1/2 on the rear, 17 x 8 1/2 on the front. Should look proportional with 255/45/18 rear tires, and 235/50/17 front. This should be a 27 inch tire rear, and 26 3/8 front.

The car is on jack stands, the fender to wheel gap will be reduced when on the ground.

I'm trusting that my friends both on the internet and here at home will help in designing a superb Stude logo for the center caps. For those that want to get started, they will be approximately 2 5/8" in diameter.

2984831303_05b0f098a6.jpg

For those that might think any 5 spoke would look similar, here are the 5 spoke aluminum that I was originally going to use, and they don't look anything like the Avanti wheel covers.

2985688120_8c24bb8029.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

"The car is on jack stands, the fender to wheel gap will be reduced when on the ground."

Gene, I kind of like the five spoke rims you have in the picture with the fender showing. Who makes these and do they make them in a 15 inch rim? Something for my future to do list. How are things going on the Avanti--I just went back to the web site to drool over the stainless frame and suspension.

Dave

Gene, I kind of like the five spoke rims you have in the picture with the fender showing. Who makes these and do they make them in a 15 inch rim? Something for my future to do list. How are things going on the Avanti--I just went back to the web site to drool over the stainless frame and suspension.

Dave

Dave,

Those are Corvette magnesium wheels, optional from 1999 to approximately 2004. They are inexpensive used, for the paint chips easily, and are almost always chipped.

I think that Speedline in Italy made them for GM. There may be some aftermarket copies of them in different sizes, I don't really know.

I'm looking at installing an Aisin AY6 manual 6 speed transmission right now. The concept is to install the Cadilllac 3.6l twin OHC V6. They rev to 7,000!

Of course this is always subject to change. I've got the transmission, but having difficulty finding a manual shifter from a CTS.

I'm going to raise the transmission tunnel a little, I want more ground clearance for the transmission.

The gas tank you supplied looks great on the outside. I've not removed the sender to look inside yet.

Your pictures of your project you sent are encouraging, keep up the good work.

Best regards.

Some photos of the transmission being fitted.

2995602820_67beb4ff49.jpg

2994764033_9b38b296a3.jpg

Thanks Gene, Wow sounds like you are going to have one really great Avanti. The pictures of the transmission being put in remind me of the day we took the engine and transmission out of mine. All I could think of was look at all the oil and grease and that transmission sure looks big. How much horsepower does the Cadillac V6 have--seems like a nice combination.

I sure hope the inside of the tank is okay. I found the inline wire mesh filter on my bench--should I send it to you? I can probably put it in a small bubble pack.

Look for another update in the next week on the electric Avanti. I'm building the battery box right now that is just forward of where your transmission is going in. Thinking of drilling out the three holes on each side where the engine mounts went and threading the holes for larger bolts so I can remove the box any time I need to rather than welding it to the frame.

Best Regards, Dave