Help! Starting Problem '87 Coupe

lftrn97

(Also posted on the Kelly Avanti Board)

1987 Kelly Coupe. Before tear the car apart, I thought I'd see if someone recognizes this problem. I have an '87 Coupe with the 305. The I've owned the car for 16 years and was the first to title it. It had 3,000 miles on it in 1992 and now has 22,000. I typically start it every week or so and drive it once a month. I missed starting it for about 6 weeks and jumped it off about three weeks ago (It has the same mysterious battery drain I've seen elsewhere on the forum and even dies when the battery disconnect switch is off!). I went to jump it yesterday and after getting the cables hooked up I got in the Avanti and turned the key and got absolutely nothing. No lights...no fuel pump activation...just dead. The battery was out of date so I put a new one in and still nothing. Checked the "starter" fuse (that fuse box is fun...) and it is ok. Also looked under the dash and can't see any obvious disconnected wires.

Is there a starter relay that I can check or any other fuse/breaker that I don't know about?

I had a GM Chiltons book but apparently have misplaced it. I'll head for the library and copy the wiring diagram for an 86/87 Monte Carlo. But I really would appreciate any advice as to how to proceed in tracing the power path. I assume I should follow the red battrery lead off under the firewall???

You can also email me directly at lftrn97@comcast.net.

Thanks for your help.

Jim Murphy

There may be a fusible link wire burned. I can't tell you exactly where to look but follow any wire from the battery. The fat one goes right to the solenoid and there maybe a smaller wire from the positive terminal. The links frequently go from one of the terminals on the solenoid up to the fuse box. They look the same as normal wires but have what looks like a connector on the wire. The links are only a part of wire because they can't be too long to work effectively.

The other thing to check is the terminal itself.

ErnieR

(Also posted on the Kelly Avanti Board)

1987 Kelly Coupe. Before tear the car apart, I thought I'd see if someone recognizes this problem. I have an '87 Coupe with the 305. The I've owned the car for 16 years and was the first to title it. It had 3,000 miles on it in 1992 and now has 22,000. I typically start it every week or so and drive it once a month. I missed starting it for about 6 weeks and jumped it off about three weeks ago (It has the same mysterious battery drain I've seen elsewhere on the forum and even dies when the battery disconnect switch is off!). I went to jump it yesterday and after getting the cables hooked up I got in the Avanti and turned the key and got absolutely nothing. No lights...no fuel pump activation...just dead. The battery was out of date so I put a new one in and still nothing. Checked the "starter" fuse (that fuse box is fun...) and it is ok. Also looked under the dash and can't see any obvious disconnected wires.

Is there a starter relay that I can check or any other fuse/breaker that I don't know about?

I had a GM Chiltons book but apparently have misplaced it. I'll head for the library and copy the wiring diagram for an 86/87 Monte Carlo. But I really would appreciate any advice as to how to proceed in tracing the power path. I assume I should follow the red battrery lead off under the firewall???

You can also email me directly at lftrn97@comcast.net.

Thanks for your help.

Jim Murphy