Need Help passing Smog Test

GAWen

My 1971 Avanti is really upsetting the Green Peace folks with her dirty exhaust. I have replaced the Carburator, Spark Plugs and Wires, Reset the timing, leaned out the carb, New Vacuum lines (thus no leaks), new distributor cap and rotor. Cylinder compression is 145 + in all cylinders. I have got to get this beast to pass the smog test, and idesa ??? George Wendell BrownWtrSailr@aol.com

My 1971 Avanti is really upsetting the Green Peace folks with her dirty exhaust. I have replaced the Carburator, Spark Plugs and Wires, Reset the timing, leaned out the carb, New Vacuum lines (thus no leaks), new distributor cap and rotor. Cylinder compression is 145 + in all cylinders. I have got to get this beast to pass the smog test, and idesa ??? George Wendell BrownWtrSailr@aol.com

A new Cat. will clean up most anything. I got one from Summit Racing. Hope this helps

I didn't know that smog checks applied to 1971 vehicles. Catalytic converters and their required unleaded gas didn't hit the streets until '73 or '74. If you're blowing a lot of visible smoke, then either the engine's burning oil or the choke is stuck. Either one of these situations will kill (overload) a catalytic converter, if your car is so equipped. Since you have good compression, the rings are OK, and that is not a problem. The other way oil gets burned is by getting past one or more intake valve seals. Other problems could be a blocked PCV valve or dirty air filter.