Loud exhaust, Silvertone

Kennie B.

When I installed my engine 10,000 + miles ago, I installed a new exhaust system as well. 

I bought the Silvertone with loud mufflers.  Sounds great but...how do I put this...anti social perhaps?  I like it but here in Cali there is a new rule regarding sound emissions, some of which does take away subjective opinion as to how loud you are but should you be sent to the Bureau of Automotive Repair, the test will cost $1,000.00 plus any fines you are subject to if you emit more than 96 dba.  Not a good idea to draw a lot of attention.

I have a friend who handles these tests for small manufacturers and he came out to test my car.  He did mention that typically, neither the cops nor courts are really interested in middle aged men driving casually with an occasional brap of a loud engine.  What they chasing are the kids running around with loud exhausts always deep in the throttle with engine devoid of the emissions equipment.

His advise though was I better keep my nose clean, at 3,200 RPM my car puts out 102.4 dba!  That happens at 80 mph.  At 2,500 RPM, it's 98 dba and that works out as 70 mph.

I am adding a pair of Hedman resonator exhaust tips to hopefully knock back the bark, https://www.jegs.com/i/Hedman/500/17120/10002/-1.  I'll let you know if these get me close.  If you live in an area with tough enforcement, go for at the least the medium tone mufflers.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I have a chance to drive the car with the tips and it certainly sounds more " modest" and the "banging" on the over run has disappeared.  Once I get the tach sorted, then I can retest.  Then I can get you hard numbers.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2019 at 1:21 AM, Kennie B. said:

Well, I have a chance to drive the car with the tips and it certainly sounds more " modest" and the "banging" on the over run has disappeared.  Once I get the tach sorted, then I can retest.  Then I can get you hard numbers.

My '63 came to me with glass pack mufflers and they are pretty loud. They are especially loud at lower speeds; it's a bit too reverberant inside the car for my liking.  I like a low rumble, but I would like to reduce the volume if I can without replacing the mufflers. Is that what these tips would do? And would these effect the power in any way? The tips on my exhaust pipes have no baffles now. Did you have to weld the Hedman resonator tips? Would I just remove the exhaust hangers near the tips and simply replace the existing tips. Or are the tips typically welded on?

I'm not sure what you mean by the "banging"... my engine doesn't have any backfires or bangs, just a bit too loud for my ears. 

Thanks,
Will

Edited by Mid Mod Guy

Hi Will, 

The Hedman tips definitely reduced the "bark".  Now it has a mellow rumble.  As for the "banging", under deceleration there was a strong popping from rich exhaust fumes firing in the pipes with any fresh air pulled through variuos leaks I couldn't seem to close up.  This seems to have solved that.  As for performance, no loss as far as the " butt dyno" can tell.

On 7/9/2019 at 12:21 AM, Kennie B. said:

Hi Will, 

The Hedman tips definitely reduced the "bark".  Now it has a mellow rumble.  As for the "banging", under deceleration there was a strong popping from rich exhaust fumes firing in the pipes with any fresh air pulled through variuos leaks I couldn't seem to close up.  This seems to have solved that.  As for performance, no loss as far as the " butt dyno" can tell.

@Kennie B.-  Did you have to weld the Hedman tips onto the exhaust pipe? Here is my current set up with wide-open tips. It looks like the U-clamp might just hold the exhaust tip in place without welding, but I'm curious about your experience. 

Avanti Exhaust Tip.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I did run a couple of short, vertical beads on both the inboard and out board sides using a MIG welder.  I did sand off the chrome plate near where I welded.