My Starter Fiasco..

So one day 3 weeks ago I went out to start My 63. R2. It was up on jackstands since I've been doing other things underneath.

I hit the key.,..and it clicked. but the starter didn't throw out. After many tedious hours to get the starter out I bench tested the Starter with a 75amp blast... Still it wouldn't extend. Trying to find a replacement Prestolite starter turned into a near impossibility. Finally I was directed to a guy in Asheville NC who had a business of rebuilding Starters and Alternators (a rarity to find someone in that Business anymore). He determined it was just gummed up and cleaned it down. He then bench tested it in front of me...Good to go.. $50.oo... I was happy.

I got it back in there car   and "click!"  Huh??? ...Ok, 6 months ago I had a new 3EE Battery that I installed... I took it out and had it tested... Near Dead. I had just charged it for 10 hours and nothing???  Now I'm frustrated,... no... I was Pissed Off... Being under warranty I had the Battery replaced (By the way, Diehard makes one) 

Try again... Battery in and "Click"... Now I'm not pissed anymore but stunned. Starter back out (now for the 4th time) and I noticed a little green corrosion on the cable from the solenoid to the starter. Ok, No More Fooling Around... I bought up what was needed to make a new cable AND a solenoid thinking I'm going to rebuild this entire circuit. ... First I installed a fresh cable . VROOM!!!!  Y E S !!!

Y'all..This was frustrating and since these are part time hours I've been at this for 3 weeks. I figure I had 20 hours sorting this out.

Moral of the story??? "Even a Blind Squirrel will get an acorn now and then !"  Sheesh!!!...     Now I can continue doing the items on my list to get it on the road for the Spring.

Posted (edited)

Um,,, Not.    But I'm over it and moving on. 

What I did find out is it's near impossible to get a Prestolite Starter for our cars. My curiosity is IF something else will bolt up and work.

Edited by aardvark

My starter was getting sluggish on my 83. Took a razor blade and made a little slice and saw just a tiny bit of green on the long cable to the starter. Replaced it and it made all the difference in the world. Mike

64studeavanti

Can you be more specific?

It is simple, any 12v stude V8 starter will work as long as it correct for the transmission. Early Avantis had 3 Pole Prestolite starters same as Hawks and Larks. There was a service bulletin on May 9th, 1963 that specified a change to 4 Pole.

FWIW, my 64 R1 came to me with a Delco starter and it worked fine 

In NJ there is a shop full of parts for many models. I had my starter and alternator serviced from this shop. Quick, clean and reliable.  very fairy priced too.

CENTRAL JERSEY STARTER & ALERNATOR INC7

1-800-675-3128   OR 732-727-4486

1089 Route 35, Morgan  N.J. 08879

Mark

Mark

Asheville NC also has a 1 man shop that has been in business for well over 35 years.

For $50.00 he had mine apart and back together before I got home from His shop, calling me to say "It's Done!" It was a 45 minute drive.

Your Bio story scares the hell out of me.. Why live in an area like that where car crashes seem a daily happening?