3EE Battery

murph the surf

I have gotten 3EE batteries in the past at my local automobile battery/electric shop, and more recently at Batteries Plus. The former says he likely won't be able to even order one, and the latter has none in stock, and they show none in stock at local stores. I asked if they could order one, they say the 3EE's are on "back order". with no estimated delivery date. Does anyone know of a reliable source where they're recently purchased a 3EE battery ??  Most appreciated; thank you..

1 hour ago, murph the surf said:

I have gotten 3EE batteries in the past at my local automobile battery/electric shop, and more recently at Batteries Plus. The former says he likely won't be able to even order one, and the latter has none in stock, and they show none in stock at local stores. I asked if they could order one, they say the 3EE's are on "back order". with no estimated delivery date. Does anyone know of a reliable source where they're recently purchased a 3EE battery ??  Most appreciated; thank you..

I think in my area (Mass) Tractor Supply Company carries them...but unless your Avanti needs to be 100% authentic for judging purposes. I'd go with something more modern.

1 hour ago, mfg said:

I think in my area (Mass) Tractor Supply Company carries them...but unless your Avanti needs to be 100% authentic for judging purposes. I'd go with something more modern.

Thank you....What might be a good modern substitute?..would like to keep the battery location where it is..

Caterpillar has 3EE. The CAT logo is removablable sticker. Very similar look when Studebaker used Willard in Avanti 1963. I have same and bought Willard sticker from SI. Every time I open the hood, the battery gets attention.😁
https://caterpillar.scene7.com/is/content/Caterpillar/C338971

https://parts.cat.com/en/catcorp/8C-3620

Edited by Leo B
add the link

The NAPA parts network shows 99+ 3EE battery’s available across the US.

Most are at distribution centers so a local store may have to order it in.

Others have recommended a type 51 battery as a replacement for the 3EE battery in a '63 Avanti.  Below are the dimensions.  The 51 battery is 0.68 inches wider than the 3EE, so that is the critical dimension.  The height is about the same (51 is 0.23" shorter).  Below are pix of a '63 Avanti with a type 51 battery installed.  It looks like only the rearward hold down is needed.

--Dwight

51 and 51R battery dimensions: 9.375 x 5.0625 x 8.75 inches (L x W x H)
3EE battery dimensions: 19.94 x 4.38 x 8.88 inches

1963 Avanti Group 51 battery.jpg

1963 Avanti Group 51 battery1.jpg

On 10/25/2023 at 3:01 PM, Leo B said:

Caterpillar has 3EE. The CAT logo is removablable sticker. Very similar look when Studebaker used Willard in Avanti 1963. I have same and bought Willard sticker from SI. Every time I open the hood, the battery gets attention.😁
https://caterpillar.scene7.com/is/content/Caterpillar/C338971

https://parts.cat.com/en/catcorp/8C-3620

Thank you, Leo..

On 10/25/2023 at 3:50 PM, A0136 said:

The NAPA parts network shows 99+ 3EE battery’s available across the US.

Most are at distribution centers so a local store may have to order it in.

Thank you...

14 hours ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

Others have recommended a type 51 battery as a replacement for the 3EE battery in a '63 Avanti.  Below are the dimensions.  The 51 battery is 0.68 inches wider than the 3EE, so that is the critical dimension.  The height is about the same (51 is 0.23" shorter).  Below are pix of a '63 Avanti with a type 51 battery installed.  It looks like only the rearward hold down is needed.

--Dwight

Thank you, Dwight..that might be a good option...seems like every 3EE I've ever bought for my Avantis seems to last about a year..

23 hours ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

--Dwight

What is the difference between the 51 and the 51R battery?,,,