changing transmission

Dennis

Iam looking for a '63 Avanti in near pristine condition. I have found 2 that seem good, but both have automatic transmission, and I much prefer a manual. How "easy" and costly is it to change from an automatic to a 4-speed manual? Does anyone know if more modern 5 or 6 speed transmissions exist that can be coupled to the studebaker engine?

I find the same problem when I look for an Avanti II - all were made (Ithink) with automatic. Is there a manual transmission available for the small block chevy 350 engine, and does anyone know if that is "easy" to do?

Thanks . Any help will be appreciated!

Iam looking for a '63 Avanti in near pristine condition. I have found 2 that seem good, but both have automatic transmission, and I much prefer a manual. How "easy" and costly is it to change from an automatic to a 4-speed manual?

Changing a auto car to a manual is not easy, it requires sourcing all the parts needed to

setup a manual car, and for the Avanti, they wont be common or cheap. For a manual

trans, its best to start with a manual car.

Does anyone know if more modern 5 or 6 speed transmissions exist that can be coupled to the studebaker engine?

Currently no one makes a kit to adapt anything by the GM autos to a Studebaker engine,

you can find tech info to adapt a T-5 trans, but that requires legwork to find a certain

year bellhousing (a truck?). The T-56 trans is what I am currently working with Fairborn

to adapt, but its anyones guess if they will follow through ... or give up. I will have to

make one myself if that happens.

I find the same problem when I look for an Avanti II - all were made (Ithink) with automatic. Is there a manual transmission available for the small block chevy 350 engine, and does anyone know if that is "easy" to do?

There were SOME manual Avanti IIs. It would be easier to adapt a modern 5 or 6 spd

trans to a GM powered Avanti II, since the mating of the engine to trans is not a problem.

You would still have to source the clutch pedal assy. Or you can just buy THIS Avanti II:

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/sdc_f...p?TOPIC_ID=3850

Have for sale or trade my late father's 1971 Avanti II. It is equipped with a 4-speed manual transmission from the factory, as well as 350 V8, p/s, p/b, a/c. The car runs and trans shifts in and out of gears. Restoration was started by my father. We have had the car about 13 years. He drove the car regularly for about 6 years until the paint started to go south on it. It has always been either garaged or covered. Recently it has been off the road about 3 1/2 years. The car has been media blasted. Has a nice set of bumpers that are off the car as well as headlight rings. Needs interior work as the front buckets are worn and have tears. I have a couple of sets of buckets- high backs and low backs that are in excellent shape as well as an excellent rear seat. Hog troughs are solid.

Has had a brake conversion kit? installed by Zari Brothers Northeast Avanti in NY. Was installed at 11,432 miles.

From what I remember being told it is 1 of 4 or 6 that rolled off the assembly line in 1971 with a 4-speed. My mother and father were the 2nd owners. Have pictures of the car coming off the assembly line at the Avanti factory.

What it needs:

Interior work

Brake work

paint prep and paint

Asking $6000 OBO. Located in Massapequa, NY 11758

New Pictures 4/9/06:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/silverbullet...m/ph//my_photos

Email me at Silverbullethawk1959@yahoo.com

PS ... this is NOT MY car .. just a deal I found on the SDC site.

Tom

Dennis, ANYTHING can be done if you spend the time and money. Have you tried to contact any of the Avanti parts vendors to see if the have all of the parts you will need?

The Avanti II/Chevy will be far easier to do a manual trans changeover, the proper bellhousing and clutch parts are more readily available (not everything, but more than Studebaker.

Thomas

Changing a auto car to a manual is not easy, it requires sourcing all the parts needed to

setup a manual car, and for the Avanti, they wont be common or cheap. For a manual

trans, its best to start with a manual car.

Currently no one makes a kit to adapt anything by the GM autos to a Studebaker engine,

you can find tech info to adapt a T-5 trans, but that requires legwork to find a certain

year bellhousing (a truck?). The T-56 trans is what I am currently working with Fairborn

to adapt, but its anyones guess if they will follow through ... or give up. I will have to

make one myself if that happens.

There were SOME manual Avanti IIs. It would be easier to adapt a modern 5 or 6 spd

trans to a GM powered Avanti II, since the mating of the engine to trans is not a problem.

You would still have to source the clutch pedal assy. Or you can just buy THIS Avanti II:

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/sdc_f...p?TOPIC_ID=3850

Have for sale or trade my late father's 1971 Avanti II. It is equipped with a 4-speed manual transmission from the factory, as well as 350 V8, p/s, p/b, a/c. The car runs and trans shifts in and out of gears. Restoration was started by my father. We have had the car about 13 years. He drove the car regularly for about 6 years until the paint started to go south on it. It has always been either garaged or covered. Recently it has been off the road about 3 1/2 years. The car has been media blasted. Has a nice set of bumpers that are off the car as well as headlight rings. Needs interior work as the front buckets are worn and have tears. I have a couple of sets of buckets- high backs and low backs that are in excellent shape as well as an excellent rear seat. Hog troughs are solid.

Has had a brake conversion kit? installed by Zari Brothers Northeast Avanti in NY. Was installed at 11,432 miles.

From what I remember being told it is 1 of 4 or 6 that rolled off the assembly line in 1971 with a 4-speed. My mother and father were the 2nd owners. Have pictures of the car coming off the assembly line at the Avanti factory.

What it needs:

Interior work

Brake work

paint prep and paint

Asking $6000 OBO. Located in Massapequa, NY 11758

New Pictures 4/9/06:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/silverbullet...m/ph//my_photos

Email me at Silverbullethawk1959@yahoo.com

PS ... this is NOT MY car .. just a deal I found on the SDC site.

Tom

Thanks to all for your advice. It does not sound like conversion is an easy thing.

Dennis

Thanks to all for your advice. It does not sound like conversion is an easy thing.

It all depends on if you can find the manual shift parts, which I doubt is easy.

Its possible that some Lark parts might work .. but I dont know. That Avanti

I posted above sounds very tempting ... and you can build it how you want!

I would buy a 93-97 Camaro/Firebird engine and T56 trans and drop it in. B)

Tom