Avanti Modification!

mfg

I received a call yesterday from a Studebaker Avanti owner who's made an interesting modification to his car....It seems he was having problems with a worn out Ross steering box in his Avanti. (He said he was never a big fan of the Ross box anyway)......So, he had the solid steering shaft cut down to a 'nub' on a '64 Lark Saginaw steering box, then had a local machinist 'spline' the nub to adapt a stock Avanti rag joint, he then installed the Lark box in his '63 Avanti. (It would be a 'bolt in' at that point)

He said the Lark Saginaw steering box is the same unit used in C2 Corvettes, and in his opinion is much superior to the original Stude Avanti Ross steering box. (Felt his Avanti steered better than ever)

I do not have any other details on this modification...however, it does sound quite interesting!.........Ed:)

Studebaker considered using the Saginaw box. Some of the EX cars DO have a Saginawbox. I have seen one at the South Bend Swap about 7 years ago.

3 hours ago, brad said:

Studebaker considered using the Saginaw box. Some of the EX cars DO have a Saginawbox. I have seen one at the South Bend Swap about 7 years ago.

Brad, considering your experience, do you feel a swap such as this would be promising?....Ed

(PS....'63-'64 Stude Lark steering boxes are still not very difficult to obtain.)

It would make the steering slower, but if you put the "quick arms" on it would be a good set-up.

16 minutes ago, Avanti83 said:

I'm also curious as to why he used the Stude box when any number of Saginaw Steering boxes from that era came with splined shafts OEM.

I would think he used the Stude Lark Saginaw steering box because it bolted right up to the Avanti frame.