ride height

Goodin

OK I give up.. I have burnt up 10 hours of internet time trying to find what the "stock ride height of a72 Avanti is. I found all kinds of answers as to what springs to use and mod to make but I still haven't found the basic numbers I need!

on my project I acquired it with the motor and transmission out, and as  am doing a c4 corvette front subframe install I need to know the measurements from the front frame near the radiator body mount (straight area of the frame) to the floor, the same for frame at the firewall body mount to the floor and just for giggles the distance from the straight frame rails front and back under the body to the floor . I know if I get answers they will be different from car to car and I'm sure I'll get the why in hell are you doing that! The answer is the stock Avanti front end is shot and junk and the power steering stuff is long gone, and I just happen to have a 84 corvette parts car left over from my 85 corvette build complete with everything including the rack and power steering pump etc.

So if you can help me with some numbers I might let you rag on me a bit

well

Not an answer to ride height, but I caution you on the use of the Corvette front end.  I believe that the Corvette has about a three inch wider track than the Avanti.  You will either have to narrow the Corvette front end or use weird wheels to get the tires in the correct place to make the Avanti look correct.

Edit in wrong place -moved

Edited by studegary

I currently own 3 corvettes (1985,1984 and 2006) and know the "apparent width" is different from the actual hub to hub measurement the corvette has very wide wheels compared to the Avanti but the  hub to hub is less than an inch different.  As a side note the frame inside measurement at the straight area behind the Avanti xmember is with in 1/4 of the same as the corvette. having built street and circle track chassis I know all about akerman ,bump steer etc I have the skills, I just need the numbers off the Avanti so I can use them.

so please rather than armchair 1/4 back me, just get the numbers i ask for . I assume you all know how to use a measuring tape. (inch or metric will be fine as I am fluent in both)

On 9/24/2020 at 10:33 AM, Goodin said:

I currently own 3 corvettes (1985,1984 and 2006) and know the "apparent width" is different from the actual hub to hub measurement the corvette has very wide wheels compared to the Avanti but the  hub to hub is less than an inch different.  As a side note the frame inside measurement at the straight area behind the Avanti xmember is with in 1/4 of the same as the corvette. having built street and circle track chassis I know all about akerman ,bump steer etc I have the skills, I just need the numbers off the Avanti so I can use them.

so please rather than armchair 1/4 back me, just get the numbers i ask for . I assume you all know how to use a measuring tape. (inch or metric will be fine as I am fluent in both)

I had no way to previously know your abilities or experience.  I was not trying to be an armchair quarterback.  I just wanted to put a general caution on something to check out there for all. Someone else can provide the numbers for you. 

EDIT:  The front track/tread width on a 1963 - 1985 Avanti is 57.1 inches (based on '58 dimensions that I have handy - same suspension) and on a 1984 Corvette it is 59.6 inches.  This is a difference of 2.5 inches, closer to my "about...three inches" than your "less than an inch".

EDIT II: I understand that some of the difference may be in different wheel offsets.  

EDIT III:  The width of the wheel/tire does not affect track width, but the wheel offset can change it in either direction.

Edited by studegary

If you have the Stude shop manual, it gives the frame dimensions. (same frame). It's a good idea to have one because most everything except the drive train is the same, and it can help a bunch.

Ten hours, Whoo!  He's some reading for you from the SDC site. 

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/tech-talk/6307-avanti-ride-height

If you need more, my 74 sets on different tires and wheels but I can get you a picture of how it sets and the dimensions as it sets now including tire size.

My guess is that while you are asking about stock ride height, in the end you are going to see what you like and go from there so mine might work as a start.

Let me know.

As an aside, while there may seem to be some wandering in the discussions, it's quite normal for some members to add info and cautions unless they are aware of folks skill levels.

Bear with us as those same folks have a lifetime of knowledge that just isn't available anywhere else, Well probably the SDC forum but it the same folks any how. You'll get what you need as we all want more of them on the road no matter how they get there.

Bob

Edited by Avanti83

This is just what I'm talking about . how hard is it for someone to walk out to a car, open the hood and measure from the frame to the ground. I don't care what tires, wheels or year of the car is, it doesn't matter if I get a good reference to work from

I 've been told a lot of " stuff " I know is BS measurements from xyz to abc and mean nothing unless they are from a known datum to a repeatable location.  realize we are dealing with a car with a lot of history  and many changes through its life but how hard can it be to find a common point of reference?? I have read the reference at the web site posted and it is a case in point. Measurements from tires, suspension components , body parts don't count all . Only the frame from a known point front and rear matters that can be set and adjusted to the "stance" wanted .

I spent a most of my life repairing frames, body damage and other peoples mistakes . You got to know where to start to know where your going

I'm sorry if I "ruffle some feathers but maybe a little history will help . I am a 76 year old male with health issues and have lived thru 2 minor strokes. a bad heart valve and diabetes I have dreamed of having an Avanti  sense  I first drove one in 1966. a lot of cars have come and gone but I finally got one. Its hard for me to type and harder to drag my ass out to the shop and work on things but  I do , so please bare with me as I was born in July and have issues

thanks for bearing with me .

Like studegary, I am past 80 years old and have owned '63, '66, '69, '71, '80, and '89 Avanti's over my lifetime, starting at about age 34. Only the '71 remains in my "fleet".

I suspect by now you realize you are the youngest contributor to this post. I just went out and measured my 74 because you finally gave me the approximate sections you wanted measured and as I'm two years your senior I wasn't about to spend several sessions crawling under it.

My suggestion as I said above in my last post is to understand the knowledge, age and methodology of the forum and adjust your expectations to our capabilities. If you go back through the forum you will see that we will do about anything within reason to get/keep these cars on the road. 

Frame height front across from radiator - 16 1/4"

Frame height front, bottom of curve in front of body mount - 7 1/2"

Frame height rear in front of forward spring mount - 7 1/4"

Avanti 83

thank you very much for the numbers I need. I realize my view of the members here on the forum is most likely  distorted by my membership in some other forums populated by much younger members than me. I hope as we "senior people" go to our rewards we pass our cars and our passion on.  I hope to get the Avanti done before I'm gone so it can go down the line to one of my great grandsons

thanks again for the numbers, I can now establish a datum and get on with the suspension mods

1 hour ago, Goodin said:

Avanti 83

thank you very much for the numbers I need. I realize my view of the members here on the forum is most likely  distorted by my membership in some other forums populated by much younger members than me. I hope as we "senior people" go to our rewards we pass our cars and our passion on.  I hope to get the Avanti done before I'm gone so it can go down the line to one of my great grandsons

thanks again for the numbers, I can now establish a datum and get on with the suspension mods

Please keep us in the loop, I'm looking forward to an impressive build. Pictures are really welcomed.

BTW - A belated WELCOME!!

Avanti, Bob

Edited by Avanti83

Bob's 74 has been modified.  My 74 is pretty much stock with somewhat tired front springs and 215-75x15 tires.  I get 15.5" from the ground to the frame next to the radiator.

I think we sometimes need to temper our expectations from this forum.  I belong to a number of other forums (Camaro, Chev/GMC trucks) where I am 3 or 4 times as old as most other members.  Many questions get answered in minutes.  Others go unanswered forever, despite hundreds of views.  One never knows. In my case, I didn't read the OP's question until a couple of minutes ago, and went out to make a measurement right away.  I know from experience that when one posts a question, one expects an authoritative response within minutes -- but sometimes it doesn't happen.

Hi Skip

thanks for the ground to frame number, but to be useful I would also need the frame at the straight portion of the rails, at the front near the firewall, and rear rail near the front spring hanger

having one number is like one hand clapping,  3 numbers help establish a datum to work from

thanks for responding

thanks skip for the other numbers. I'm taking an average of the measurements I have and will start from there.

the way I am cutting the frame it will be possible to "restore it to "studebaker" I will keep the front clip for a future owner. if anyone wanted to make it pure again

• 1 year later...

wondering how your project is going, my 79 has a c4 front installed by a previous owner. Front is dropped, I'm playing with spring stiffening in the rear so it just gained an inch and a half... it runs on offsets from late 90s camaro, and a 66 chevelle 10 bolt to match the c4 front track width. 20221002_181957.thumb.jpg.8bde72951b16bc3b0a38abc83ee49645.jpg