What tube goes on the 1964 R-2 air cleaner?

64tbird

I recently had a rebuilt supercharger and air cleaner assembly installed on my '64 R-2 Avanti. There is a small L-shaped metal tube that sticks out of the side of the air cleaner. Mine has nothing attached to it. I have seen pictures of other Avanti R-2's that have a rubber hose attached to this air cleaner fitting, and the hose is directed downward. What is this hose and where is it supposed to go? What does it connect to at the other end? Thanks for any information.

It's for the crankcase breather tube from the oil pan to the air cleaner. It vents fumes from the crankcase to be directed into the induction system so it can be burned in the combustion chambers.

The fitting on the side of the oil pan has the dipstick tube and the breather tube as one assembly. A hose goes from the crankcase outlet to the air cleaner.

Good morning 64bird- I just looked at my mostly original 64 R2 vin 5255. The "small" tube you're referring to is 3/4" in Dia. A rubber hose will attach to it & go mostly straight down to the "road draft tube". (The road draft tube is made of steel) which takes oil fumes from the crankcase to the air filter. It should have a spring type hose clamp at each end. Another line also comes to the "road draft tube" from the carburetor's PCV valve which is a much smaller diameter.............I'm sure Jon Meyers, of Meyers Studebaker, has this tube & clamps. Any questions - please reply!

Fred

Thank you very much, Gunslinger and AvantiFred. This is information is very helpful and exactly what I needed to know. I purchased the supercharger and air cleaner from Jon Meyers, so I am sure he will have the parts I need. Thank you again for your responses.

Is there risk not venting the breather tube into the induction system? I see unconnected orifices in other cars as well... when the air cleaner is not the original.

Edited by dapy

I have an original-style air cleaner, though not the actual original one that came with the car. It is supposed to be a duplicate of the original. What would be the risk of installing a hose, as original, and connecting it to the air cleaner and to the crankcase / road draft tube?

Is there risk not venting the breather tube into the induction system? I see unconnected orifices in other cars as well... when the air cleaner is not the original.

It provides more complete burning of crankcase fumes and lessens pollutants escaping to the atmosphere. At one time most, if not all cars, came with road draft tubes. The desire to make for a more clean burning engine gave rise to PCV's and other emissions controls. It's also part of the proper tune for an engine...the burning of the fumes is designed into the engine tuning specs.

I'm not arguing all emissions laws and methods used to comply are ineffective or poorly thought out, but cleaner burning engines are desirable.

Thank you. I agree and also favor cleaner burning engines. Based on the responses above, I was wondering if connecting the crankcase vent to the air cleaner would have any adverse impact on how the engine runs or performs.

Factory arrangements have the hose connecting to the air cleaner outside of the filter element so any crankcase fumes get filtered before entering the induction system and combustion chambers, I've seen a number of aftermarket air cleaners have fittings for the hose connecting inside the air cleaner, allowing unfiltered fumes into the system for burning. I don't think that's an optimal method of doing it.

Many GM air cleaners have a second, smaller air filter element inside the air cleaner body where the hose attaches.

Gunslinger, not sure what you mean by "outside of the filter element." My air cleaner was shipped to me with two small filter elements that I'm told are to fit in tandem, one behind the other. When assembled and the lid is attached with a wing nut, the end of the 2nd filter protrudes slightly past the end of the air cleaner, leaving a bit of the filter element exposed. The metal tube appears to be leading in to the air cleaner next to one of the filters.

Maybe I didn't choose my words properly...my tongue must have been covering my eye tooth and I couldn't see what I was saying.

When I say outside the air filter element, I meant the inlet to the air cleaner made sure any crankcase fumes have to go through the filter elements and not directly into the air stream down the carburetor unfiltered.

Gunslinger, not sure what you mean by "outside of the filter element." My air cleaner was shipped to me with two small filter elements that I'm told are to fit in tandem, one behind the other. When assembled and the lid is attached with a wing nut, the end of the 2nd filter protrudes slightly past the end of the air cleaner, leaving a bit of the filter element exposed. The metal tube appears to be leading in to the air cleaner next to one of the filters.

If the 2nd filter protrudes and is visible at the open end of the air filter housing...it sounds to me like you have a 1963 Avanti style air filter. I believe that the '64 Avanti's used a different housing, which completely enclosed both filters, with an opening in the side of the housing which faces up. I can only surmise that Studebaker engineers made this change to silence some of the supercharger whine which was quite noticeable on the '63 version. (A sound which I like!)

Jeez - I specified that I have a '64 model and wanted a '64 style air cleaner. Is there a different style of filter element that will fit inside? I haven't driven the car yet with the supercharger installed, as it has some starter and alternator problems which I am addressing soon.

Check out some '63-'64 Studebaker Avanti engine photos and You'll see what I mean. The '64 closed housing takes the same two filters...but the housing itself is a bit 'deeper' to completely enclose both filters. Air enters into the housing through a rectangular hole in the side of the housing which faces upwards towards the hood. The end cap with wing nut is the same on the '64 housing as the '63 housing, but it seals onto a large rubber gasket. 1964 R2 Super Larks and R2 Super Hawks used a very similar air filter assy as the '64 Avanti used.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd guess that another reason for this 1964 R2 Avanti air filter housing change was to divert the engine's intake of super-hot air from directly above the exhaust manifolds, as '63 R2 Avanti air filters will do.