Throttle Body EFI for R2?

Tim G

Hi Folks,

I have a 64 R2 and I've been wondering if anyone has converted (or seen a conversion) to a throttle body EFI system instead of the sealed Carter carb?  If so, what was used and how'd it go?

Thanks,

Tim

I tried to put an FI Tech inside an R3 airbox.  Altho Jeff Rice did show pics of this in a kind of dummy'd-up situation, I found it a bit challenging... was getting fairly expensive and taking a lot of time to sort thru what was available to make workarounds.  I gave up.  I believe Brad uses a Holley setup.

I used a Holley sniper inside a Paxton air box. Could have used the R3 box, but sold it earlier. The Holley is able to have blow through as it's map sensor allows for boost. The only change I would recommend is to use the progressive secondary linkage. Going to utilize the timing function with a aftermarket distributor on a future build. That way timing can be adjusted from the set, and changed with different boost levels. Right out of the box, it worked well. A very complete kit.

• 6 months later...

I've been successfully running an EFI conversion on my  supercharged Avanti for several years now.  Hamilton Fuel Injection  He adapts an early 90s GM throttle body EFI.  I mounted the ECM just under the dash, on the passenger side, using a bracket and cover from a late Avanti II, which used the same system.

Edited by Billy Shears

I recently wrote FITec about running their EFI on a supercharged 289, Their answer is below.

We do have a 600 hp power adder unit the part number 30004. If you would like this as a master kit with a inline fuel pump kit the part number is 31004. This unit will work on any engine producing 200 hp to 600 hp. This system will work with power adders like a blower, supercharger, turbo, and nitrous.

• 4 weeks later...

Following up - I just talked with Holley and they actually recommended their Sniper EFI 2300 2 barrel with an adapter plate to mate up to the 4 barrel intake.  The rationale is that the 4 barrel 4150 would require a lot of tuning for anything under 300HP.  Has anyone else heard this recommendation?

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_injection/sniper_efi/sniper_2300_2bbl/sniper_2300_2bbl_master_kits_with_fuel_system/parts/550-851K

Billy and Ted - Thanks for the input.  I'll check out FITec and Hamilton too.

Edited by Tim G

Tim...

I have a 63 R2 and have thought about this for some years.. I deal with altitude differences of 5000 feet to 9200 feet where I live in Conifer Colorado. Do you know if this unit will fit under the hood of our cars with the adapter plate etc? Will the original bonnet fit on this air horn?

Looks neat and quite easy to do..

Thanks in advance..

Ron Husak

38 minutes ago, rhusak said:

Tim...

I have a 63 R2 and have thought about this for some years.. I deal with altitude differences of 5000 feet to 9200 feet where I live in Conifer Colorado. Do you know if this unit will fit under the hood of our cars with the adapter plate etc? Will the original bonnet fit on this air horn?

Looks neat and quite easy to do..

Thanks in advance..

Ron Husak

I haven't checked the bonnet diameter or overall height yet, but I am concerned about the height including adapter.  I'm thinking the bonnet will fit since the 2300 has a 4 barrel diameter on the top.  As I investigate more I'll follow-up.

Tim

2 hours ago, Tim G said:

I haven't checked the bonnet diameter or overall height yet, but I am concerned about the height including adapter.  I'm thinking the bonnet will fit since the 2300 has a 4 barrel diameter on the top.  As I investigate more I'll follow-up.

Tim

With the Hamilton EFI, it was not possible to use the stock carb hat -- the modern throttle body is the same size as a modern Edelbrock carburetor, which is just slightly larger than the original.  I used the low-profile one sold by ProCharger.  I also needed a metal ring of the same diameter approximatel 1 1/2 inches tall.  I should warn you, this made for a hood clearance problem.  I asked Dan Booth at Nostalgic Motors how to solve it, and he suggested shimming the front end of the body upward just the inch or so that was necessary.  When I loosened the fastenings that mount the body to the frame, the front end of the body flexed upward the required distance all on its own, and this was with the hood raised, to the engine, throttle body, and carb hat was not pushing it up.  I shimmed it and fastened everything back down, and there was no problem.  Will yours do this if you do the exact same thing?  Who knows?  These cars all seem to have had fiberglass bodies essentially hand-built onto the chassis, and that being the case, the dimensions are not always exact from one car to the other.