Avanti 63R1406 R2 Update Status

avantibngrant

Hello every one. I have got through the issues up to the point of license and insurance - I get to drive it for the short season left now. It looks absolutey great. The last major issue which I should share came up totally unexpectedly. The mechanic was driving it home when the differential started making a terrible rumbling and growling noise. I took the cover off of the diff only to find about 2 or 3 tablespoons of oil in it. So, I read the postings and RedLine Synthetic GL5 seemed reccomended by a few. I cleaned it out - no fillings present and filled it up. Growling was about the same. I jacked it up and determined the pinion bearing was all bu gone. So I ordered up a box ot Timken bearing and seals and had it foated back to the garage. They installed the new parts and it is fine now. So check your diff's - mine was totally dry on the outside and so I thought it was full and not leaking.

The last issue is the alternator. I put a new SI Voltage reg in it already, but the alternator charges ok at idle to fast idle as it will run with the cable off the battery. If I put the lights and heater blower on at idle it dies when I take the cable off. The big issues is when i rev it up to 2000 to 2500 rpm, on occassion it will swing over and discharge about 15 to 20 amps for no reson at all. I slow it down and it charges again. The result is it draws down the battery when driving when it does this. An ideas? I am wondering if the diodes are shorting out to ground.

I have a couple of alternators from a 63 Hawk and a 64 Commander 6 cylinder. My question is will the 35 alternator physically fit in place of the 40 Amp Avanti R2 one as a short term solutuon and will it electrically work with the Avanti Voltage regulator until I can get the old one checked out and fixed.

Another question - what was the standard rear axle ratio for 6 cylinder Commander 4 doors in 1964? If I ever decide down the road to up the Avanti ratio from 3.73, I am curious if the 64 parts car would likedly have a ratio lower numerically and if it is a type 44 Dana.

I have attached a few pictures of the machine in question. It sure is a pleasure to own one, a priviledge I thought I would never have.

Thanks very much every one and enjoy your Studebakers. They are all so special to own and drive!

Regards

Neil

PS i also posted this on the SDC forum also

post-9323-13172615546753_thumb.jpg

post-9323-13172615646953_thumb.jpg

post-9323-13172615763096_thumb.jpg

post-9323-13172615894465_thumb.jpg

Good to see you up and running.

So check your diff's - mine was totally dry on the outside and so I thought it was full and not leaking.
Never take anything for granted on old Studes, or any old car. Verify every fluid, every valve and ignition and carburetor setting.
what was the standard rear axle ratio for 6 cylinder Commander 4 doors in 1964?
Again, take nothing for granted, but most 6-cyl cars used the lighter duty Dana 27 without TwinTraction.

jack vines