Headlight Cover

profaqualung

Since making these covers, I have not had to replace a broken headlight - or a broken glass cover, or a discolored cover. Though I have had to replace 2 windshields due to all the gravel and pulp wood trucks running these MS roads.

Not anywhere near 'original', but they work - and don't look half bad.

Thomaspost-2539-127656125374_thumb.jpg

Since making these covers, I have not had to replace a broken headlight - or a broken glass cover, or a discolored cover. Though I have had to replace 2 windshields due to all the gravel and pulp wood trucks running these MS roads.

Not anywhere near 'original', but they work - and don't look half bad.

Thomaspost-2539-127656125374_thumb.jpg

Will they fit an 84 with the painted plastic basels?

Charlie RQB3921

Never having seen the 84 plastic bezel, I am not 100% sure this would work, but it should.

The material is stainless 1/2"wire [.046 thickness] from TWP,Inc. Take off your bezel and affix the wire mesh to the backside with small masking tape - 3 pieces on top and bottom - 2 pieces on each side. Once the wire is secured to the backside, using very sharp wire cutters, cut as close to the inside lip as possible - making sure the wire does not move.

Once cut, it should be a tight fit on the inside - next you need to make some kind of gasket to hold the screen against the inside of the bezel - I used 1/4' clear tubing, with a straightened coat hanger inserted so it would stay in shape. Also making sure that where the 2 ends meet, is on the bottom - water drainage.

As for keeping them clean and shiny - without having to take them apart all the time, I use a trick we bikers discovered many moons ago. With all the high dollar motorcycle and car 'spray on' cleansers that were available - SHOUT [laundry spray] works as well if not better than most of them. Who knew?

As Ernier noted - the lighting is MUCH better. With good headlight bulbs, I do not feel like I am 'outrunning' my headlights.

Thomas