Standard Wheel Dimensions

Ray K.

I recently purchased an '82 Avanti with after-market wheels (15" x 7" MOPAR aluminum alloy rallies). I am restoring it to the correct 15" x 6" steel wheels and reproduction wheel covers. What make and model vehicle do I specify when searching for the wheels? Correct Avanti wheels have a 4.5-inch bolt circle, 2.5-inch diameter center hole, and 3.5-inch offset - and, the wheel cover diameter is 14.5". Unfortunately, you can only shop by make & model, not by dimensions. They look at you like you're from Mars when you say "Avanti". Local junkyards let me look around, but everything in 15" has a larger center hole.

Ray K.

>snip<

What make and model vehicle do I specify when searching for the wheels?

>snip<

Ray K.

I don't have a definitive answer, but I suspect you are looking for wheels from a

full-size Chrysler sedan from the mid to late 70's... like a New Yorker.

Hopefully someone has a more exact application they can offer.

In Stan Gundry's book on the Avanti "What the Shop Manual Won't Tell You", he says Mopar 15"x6" rims from 1969-84 will work. You have to make sure they're in good shape and the bolt holes aren't rounded out or otherwise worn to the point where the lug nuts won't pull them up tight.

I don't have a definitive answer, but I suspect you are looking for wheels from a

full-size Chrysler sedan from the mid to late 70's... like a New Yorker.

Hopefully someone has a more exact application they can offer.

Thanks. I picked up some 15 x 6.5 rims from a Dodge van. They may work for the time being. My only concern is that the center hole is ~ 3/8 inch too big. The hub is supposed to support the weight of the vehicle, not the bolts. I'll keep looking. Another alternative is to get spacer rings to fill the gap, as mentioned in http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html . However, these may be just as hard to get as original wheels.

Hubcentric wheels didnt start turning up until the late 80's, this was due to extra

vibration that exists in lugcentric applications. Ultimately the lugs support the

weight, since obviously force becomes a sideload on a turn. Also, after my trek

into brake design for my Avanti, I found that the hub casting isnt even machined

concentric! Spin your wheel and watch the hub! Both of mine wobble like crazy

and I sure wouldnt want my wheels to follow that motion.

Tom

The hub is supposed to support the weight of the vehicle, not the bolts. I'll keep looking.