Gas Tank Removal on 1987 Avanti

billy

Thanks for the info billy, I've been smelling gas fumes after I fill my '87. I've been wondering where all that pink insulation that I keep cleaning up had been coming from also.

How hard to install a modern In Tank electric pump for EFI ? Is there a return line already in the tank?

Jim Wood

I posted pictures on this site on how I removed my gas tank, feel free to post pictures of your Avanti repairs.

http://groups.msn.com/AVANTIINFORMATION/shoebox.msnw

How hard to install a modern In Tank electric pump for EFI ? Is there a return line already in the tank?

Jim Wood

Hi Jim, I am not a auto mechanic but i can give you my opinion. The Avanti tank drains from the bottom & I think in tank pumps exit out the top, there is no return line. I think there are EFI pumps that do not have to go in the tank. It would not be to hard to modify the Avanti tank for EFI, maybe someone who has done it will reply. bill

I just had Edelbrock EFI added with the new crate engine to my '70. It came with an electric fuel pump that was mounted on the frame under the gas tank. The supplied fuel filter was located in-line along the frame side rail. Since the electric fuel pump keeps the line pressurized, you have to use fuel line that can be pressurized, which the kit did come with. It also came with line to use as a return line, or you can utilize original line for return.

You can go to Edelbrock's web site and download the manual for their EFI...it gives you instructions for the installation that may answer a lot of your questions.