'78 Avanti bumper

Kellerbear

Just bought a beautiful 1978 Avanti II, and fulfilled a long-time dream. I'm enjoying it very much.

The front bumperette, or end cap, the bumper that wraps around the fender, is canted down slightly instead of being parallel to the ground and level with the main front bumper. I've seen photos of other Avantis that have this droopy bumper, so maybe it's fairly common. Any suggestions on how to straighten it up like it's supposed to be? I've attached a photo showing the slight downward droop.

The bumper ends bolt to the center section from the side, at the front to a stud and on the outside through the fender. At the frame the brackets bolt up with some adjustment with adjustment is possible with the bolt through the fender. Loosen up evrything you can and re-position the end where it's supposed tp be and re-tighten. Shim behind the fender if necessary rather than tightening against the fiberglass.

Ernie R2 R5388

Just bought a beautiful 1978 Avanti II, and fulfilled a long-time dream. I'm enjoying it very much.

The front bumperette, or end cap, the bumper that wraps around the fender, is canted down slightly instead of being parallel to the ground and level with the main front bumper. I've seen photos of other Avantis that have this droopy bumper, so maybe it's fairly common. Any suggestions on how to straighten it up like it's supposed to be? I've attached a photo showing the slight downward droop.

[/quot

• 2 weeks later...

Ernie, I loosened the side bolt and the fender bolt to where I could turn the nut with my fingers, and tried to adjust the endcap bumper. It won't budge, can't move it up or down. Can you suggest anything else? Thanks. Tim

The end piece has 3 connections to the bumper braces. At the side, as you already know, at the very front bolted to a stud on the end of the rubber that goes through one of the braces and bolted to the center section. If just the trailing end of the end is drooping the center section might be twisted and you might have to bend something. Or you need to loosen all the bolts including the one that goes to the center section and the braces at the frame. Take the bolt out of the fender so you don't break any fiberglass and put a jack under the end piece bring it up to where you want and tighten bolts.

Ernie

Ernie, I loosened the side bolt and the fender bolt to where I could turn the nut with my fingers, and tried to adjust the endcap bumper. It won't budge, can't move it up or down. Can you suggest anything else? Thanks. Tim