'77 Avanti key blanks ?

BillyBob

Recently had spare keys made for my new-to-me '77. I recall door as using GM blank and ignition using Chrysler. Was there an Avanti blank and is it still available? From whom?

• 5 years later...

My '85 seems to use the same key (GM round head) for both door and ignition. Is there any list any where of which of the post-Studebaker Avanti's use which style of key in the door/ignition?

It was in 1976 that Avanti Motors changed door locks to a lock receiver in the door rather than in the handle assembly. It may have been then they made a switch to the single key for both door and ignition, but that's just speculation on my part.

Prior to 1971 Avanti Motors used the same ignition switch, door locks and console and glove box locks as Studebaker did and used the identical key blanks. When they began using impact absorbing steering columns the key blank depended on where the steering column was sourced...either American Motors (supplied by GM) or Chrysler. I haven't seen a year by year breakdown on when each steering column was used. It may have been by best cost/availability.

My 76 has the single Chrysler logo shaped key that unlocks the doors and does the ignition. The door lock is in the handle assembly.