paint color

aj's64

Howdy!

I need to paint the grill work on my 1964 Avanti that was painted about 14 years ago. I am having a problem finding a shop that can match the color. It was painted "Avanti white" and I do have a small bottle of touchup paint from then with the number 6331 on it. However, I'm unable to find a cross reference with a paint formula that can be used by my body shop.

Is there a currently existing color that matches Avanti white?

Thanks for your help.

J. :(

The grille (or stone guard) under the front end is stainless steel and should be left natural. If you want it painted body color, any well equipped auto paint supplier can computer match any color if they don't have paint charts for manufacturer and model year. Any good paint supplier should have those color charts with modern formulas.

any professional paint shop can easily look up the orginal paint code and the modern equivalent, and mix it for you in either with or without clear topcoat.

Howdy!

I need to paint the grill work on my 1964 Avanti that was painted about 14 years ago. I am having a problem finding a shop that can match the color. It was painted "Avanti white" and I do have a small bottle of touchup paint from then with the number 6331 on it. However, I'm unable to find a cross reference with a paint formula that can be used by my body shop.

Is there a currently existing color that matches Avanti white?

Thanks for your help.

J. :(

Thanks for the replies. My recollection is that there was a Ford Wimbledon white that was a good match. In a document by Stanley Gundry, he mentions a Centari #4775 Ford truck white that is a very close match. My frustration is that I have a touch up paint vial with the number 6331 on it and that seems to translate to a 63s91 avanti white color. My problem is that i can't find corresponding specific paint mixture formulas for the 6331/63s91 numbers.

Any additional help you can provide will be GREATLY appreciated.

By the way, the car will be listed for sale in the near future (hence my desire to get it back to specs). It (64 R2 square headlights)has been totally redone by Expressly Avanti out of PA) just short of a frame off restoration. Any thoughts on a fair asking price?

Thanks,

J.

In a recent Avanti/AOAI magazine, I had an article on the "correct" colors for over 40 "paintable" parts. (not including interior and body paints which are well known and documented)

It has the "correct" paint defined with 2-3 "close" alternatives to "Avanti White" which was only used on the 1963 wheel, and the different "Avanti white" used on 1964 - 19?? wheels. The grill was stainless, maybe with a clear coating.

(Yes, for the 1963, Ford Wimbledon white is very close. I got a can of the "official" 1963 wheel paint, and could only tell the difference in fluorescent light and strong outdoor light. Saved myself about 80% by going to the local Auto parts store and got the Ford paint in a shaker can (enough for 4 wheels)).

Thanks for the replies. My recollection is that there was a Ford Wimbledon white that was a good match. In a document by Stanley Gundry, he mentions a Centari #4775 Ford truck white that is a very close match. My frustration is that I have a touch up paint vial with the number 6331 on it and that seems to translate to a 63s91 avanti white color. My problem is that i can't find corresponding specific paint mixture formulas for the 6331/63s91 numbers.

Any additional help you can provide will be GREATLY appreciated.

By the way, the car will be listed for sale in the near future (hence my desire to get it back to specs). It (64 R2 square headlights)has been totally redone by Expressly Avanti out of PA) just short of a frame off restoration. Any thoughts on a fair asking price?

Thanks,

J.

Thanks for the update. I'll stop by the paint shop I'm using tomorrow and see if the info you have provided will get the job done. I'll let you know how it turns out. Oh, by the way, the grills I was referrring to are the two "grills" in the hood area just below the front windshield that shield the passage ways to fresh air coming in the foot well vents.

Thanks again for all your help.