Did a little drag racing tonight...

ernier

Went to the local track (50 miles away) with #2 son to make a few passes. I was a little disappointed but it is what it is. The best was a 15.097 at 91.56 MPH. It was a perfect night, cool no wind at all. The car ran as good as it could. No misses, flat spots, overheats or crazy shimmies and the boost gage stayed pinned a 5lbs so no belt slips or air leaks. In fact, it pulled clean and smooth to 5200 RPM in each gear.

There's probably a sub 15 second run in there somewhere. I played with the timing a little with performance nothing better than where I had it set initially. I purposely left all my carb jets at home because it runs great on the street and gets 23MPG on the highway and I just didn't feel like messing with it.

Every contemporary road test I've read puts a 4 speed R2 at around 16 seconds and an automatic with 3.73's at 15.8. So, I guess the few little mods I've done have had some effect.

ErnieR

track.jpg

avnatiglamour007.jpg

I posted a reply over on SDC to you, but to recap, I would gather your

skinny tires are holding you back, could you even launch hard? I seem

to remember Hot Rod writing that their Avanti R3 spun the tires down a

whole quarter mile .... regardless sounds like you had fun!

Tom

• 4 weeks later...

Your Performance & fuel economy sound much better than average and I am interested in your mods.

289,Paxton? AFB? Jets? timing?

I have an Auto with 3.54 gears & cast headers.

With your Data,can you calculate the HP you are making?

Your Performance & fuel economy sound much better than average and I am interested in your mods.

289,Paxton? AFB? Jets? timing?

I have an Auto with 3.54 gears & cast headers.

With your Data,can you calculate the HP you are making?

Fuel economy is credited to a 700R4 overdrive. The carb is a combination of an Edelbrock 1406 bottom and the original R2 3725S AFB top. The engine was bored by the previous owner to a whopping .156 over giving me about 315CID. The heads are low compression ( I'm guessing with the dished pistons that are in there about 8.25:1) with R3 Intake valves, the cam is an R2.5 with matching springs, the exhaust is R3 manifolds with a 2" "H" configuration running through Thrush Turbo mufflers, gearing is 3.73 TT, torque converter is a B&M Holeshot lock up with a 2400 RPM stall, blower is stock with a smaller pulley, the distributor is a Delco window that I curved to give me 28 total at 2,000 rpm( centrifugal advance ), Pertronix Ignitor, Jets are 98 front with 73/47 rods and 95 rear ( stock 1406 set up but I have since leaned the secondaries to 92 jets and my seat of the pants dyno says the car is now quicker in the midrange ).

I plan to go back in the fall sometime after I put the flanged axles in. My launch technique was from idle easing the car off the line a little to avoid stressing the stock axles too much. I feel with the Jet changes and being able to come off a little harder the car will break into the 14's. The runs were made with the spare in the trunk and 3 year old spark plugs.

One other issue that may have slowed me down a little is the governor in the 700R4. I have yet to come up with the right combination of springs and weights to get the full throttle shift points where I would like them so at the top of first gear I have to let off the gas a little and allow the trans to shift otherwise it will go right to 6,000 RPM and power starts to drop after 5,500.

Ernie R2 R5388