1971 Avanti Mirrors

GAWen

Does anyone know what was the original source of the outside rearview mirrors on the 1971 Avanti II's. The driver's side door mirror on my car is a cable operated remote control, and one of the cables has snapped.

George

I have read that they are AMC.

Jim Wood

Does anyone know what was the original source of the outside rearview mirrors on the 1971 Avanti II's. The driver's side door mirror on my car is a cable operated remote control, and one of the cables has snapped.

George

George

I am pretty sure that mirror was used on series 1 Jaguar XJS, although I'm not sure why

I think that except that I used to have an early XJS. I don't know if it has the same cable controls.

Perhaps you can splice the cable somehow, or find a new length of cable that will work and graft it in.

Here are a couple of photos of XJS mirrors (the first was my old XJS, the second one is on eBay right now http://tinyurl.com/395vnl ):

79XJSmirror1.jpg

XJSmirror2.jpg

Edited by WayneC

• 3 weeks later...

AMC mirrors. Probably the best looking things ever made by AMC!

Back in the early 80s I bought a new right side mirror for a '69 AVII I owned, and got it from the AMC dealer, so that's why I know it's AMC.

Of course, who's to say that Jag didn't also buy the same mirrors for some of their cars?

Paul G.

PS: I do recall that, when buying the new mirrors, I had to match up the "stems", since apparently some AMC's had different curvatures on that bottom section. Tops were identical.