Stock Magnum 500 wheel size

tmorefield

Hello again,

I would like to replace one of the magnum 500 wheels on my Avanti. Does anyone know the the stock size and make of the Magnum 500's used by Avanti at the time?

Thanks,

Tony

I have a '70 as well. I believe the Magnum 500's are 15"x6" but I'm not sure. They could be 7" wide, but I think 6" is correct. That would be appropriate for 78, 75 and 70 series tires. I don't believe Avanti Motors installed 60 series tires on them at that time, if ever, and 7" wide wheel would have been appropriate for them.

Magnum 500's aren't being made anymore by the original manufacturer, but are available by a reproduction supplier. You should be able to find them through Coker Tire, Summit Racing and several other vendors. They're even made now in 16" and 17" sizes.

Did they use the Ford Magnum 500 wheels? I did find a company called Motorspot Inc. on hobbycar.com that carries them. They do show the Avanti as having Ford Magnums. I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks for you help.

Tony

They're the same Magnum 500 wheel that Ford and Chrysler used. The difference was the emblem in the cap and the fact that Ford and Mopar generally, if not exclusively, used 14" wheels while Avanti used 15". All three manufacturers use the same 4 1/2" bolt circle.

The only current manufacturer of Magnum 500 reproduction wheels now (as far as I know) is Wheel Vintiques. There are a number of resellers for them and prices seem to be pretty comparable across the board. Motorspot is likely a reseller of Wheel Vintique products.

Every now and then you might see a used Magnum 500 on Ebay. I don't know where you live, but if you're close enough to Carlisle, PA, their Spring swap meet is this week. I wouldn't be surpised to find some Magnum 500's there for sale...used and new. Carlisle is a Mecca for postwar car parts.

Edited by Gunslinger

From what I have been able to determine, 'Gunslinger' is correct about the 15 X 6's being standard. Since I planned on putting 215R65's on the front, and 225R65's on the back I went with the 7" wide 500's.

At the time [end of Dec.], the company that was making them, did not have any in stock, and was not going to start production of this particular rim until April.

I found my rims through Tony Branda Cobra - he had all sizes in stock and very reasonably priced. Hope this helps.

• 4 months later...
Hello again,

I would like to replace one of the magnum 500 wheels on my Avanti. Does anyone know the the stock size and make of the Magnum 500's used by Avanti at the time?

Thanks,

Tony

Dear Tony,

I also have a '70 Avanti which I found had two bent Magnum 500 wheels just last week. After doing some searching on the internet, I ran across the site shown below which has an easy way to plug in a tire size to obtain a wheel size and vice versa. Sorry to get back to you so very late.

http://www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_specs.jsp

I'm busy getting my Avanti with only 47,000 miles on it to be almost perfect mechanically and cosmetically for possible sale; but after all I've done to it so far (and having owned it since '72) I may not be able to part with it after all!

Best regards and good luck with yours,

Paul D. Eikenbary