First Impressions on driving 2006 Avanti

jeffgrohs

Our new 2006 Pewter Convertible arrived Wednesday morning. I took it out for a short ride last night after work with my wife. I must say, it's a totally different ride than my 63 R1 ( no surprise) or the 89 Convertible that we're selling ( looks like it may be gone this weekend...). It's got plenty of get up and go. The ride's a little rougher than the 89, but that's most likely due to the low profile tires. The front seats are very comfortable - but I don't think the back seats would be good for much besides grocery bags ( and Bob Ziff made Linda sit in the back during our "test rides" in Cancun!). We'll try to slide the seats forward a bit and see if the kids will fit in the back this weekend.

My wife drove the car to DMV yesterday and said she had 3 different people yelling at her at stop lights asking her what kind of car it was. We very rarely have had that happen while driving either of the older Avantis or the Hawk.

I'll see if I can get some good pictures of the three this weekend and send to Lew along with a short article for the next Avanti mag.

Congrats on your purchase of a new Avanti, but I had to comment on not

getting much attention in the older Avantis ... come on!! :rolleyes:

I cant drive down the street without people pointing. I stop somewhere and

people come up and start asking questions. Not that I am saying you will

not get noticed driving the new Avanti, but its not that different from the 63.

Unless those rims truely do make the difference? I do have to admit that

I have noticed more interest since I installed them almost 2 years ago. I

literally have people yell out "NICE CAR!" .. including kids on bicycles. The

convertible Avanti looks better than the coupe, I think they could have done

a better job with the rear window treatment. Was the top down when she

heard the yelling? Maybe you just dont HEAR the comments with the 63? ;)

Anyway .. glad you are enjoying your new toy. B)

Tom

Our new 2006 Pewter Convertible arrived Wednesday morning. ..... My wife drove the car to DMV yesterday and said she had 3 different people yelling at her at stop lights asking her what kind of car it was. We very rarely have had that happen while driving either of the older Avantis or the Hawk.

Tom, it wasn't meant as a dig on the older Avantis. While I'm selling the 89 convertible to help pay for the new one, I'll be keeping my 63 R1 forever ( or until I get it "done" - which ever comes first :D ). I guess my comment relates to most younger people's interest in newer cars with more bling. They have no idea what the 2006 is ( and WHO made it???) - yet they know the 63 is "just" an old car. It really does depend on the audience. Anyway, it doesn't matter to me! The new one will be my wife's daily driver - she loves it. I'll keep my "old" cars for the weekends and ocassional drives to work.

The rims on the new one do look good. Thanks for having the factory use them !

I've got Cragar Starwires on my 63 and I think they look real cool too!

Jeff

Congrats on your purchase of a new Avanti, but I had to comment on not

getting much attention in the older Avantis ... come on!! :rolleyes:

I cant drive down the street without people pointing. I stop somewhere and

people come up and start asking questions. Not that I am saying you will

not get noticed driving the new Avanti, but its not that different from the 63.

Unless those rims truely do make the difference? I do have to admit that

I have noticed more interest since I installed them almost 2 years ago. I

literally have people yell out "NICE CAR!" .. including kids on bicycles. The

convertible Avanti looks better than the coupe, I think they could have done

a better job with the rear window treatment. Was the top down when she

heard the yelling? Maybe you just dont HEAR the comments with the 63? ;)

Anyway .. glad you are enjoying your new toy. B)

Tom

My first contact with Avanti Motors about buying the car was in the second week of February - 3 or 4 weeks before the report "boarding up" of the factory in Cancun. The car was picked up after that point ( fedex/passport took their time...). Communication with Avanti after that point has been difficult at best. I can understand that this has been a very difficult time for them - and I guess I expected that after getting such a "discount". I've heard from another person on this board that took receipt of a 2007 just a few days ago - he's got a few more - still relatively minor - problems than I've got. I gave him the cell number for Jim Wilson - the best way I've found to get help.

If those of us who took the risk to buy 06 and 07 cars - at a steep discount - from a company that's on the brink establish communication about any of the minor problems we have ( hood clearance is the only one I've seen), we can hopefullly get past some of the "communication problems" with the factory. The best case would be stronger support from the factory. The worst case would be yet another orphan Avanti generation - something the "faithful" have been able to deal with for 40 years...

Jeff

Since you are the newest "new" Avanti owner, what interaction have you had with either Avanti-atlanta or Avanti-Cancun since the reports of the factory being boarded up?

[What is the status at Avanti Cancun?

I was trying to get my son to buy a new Avanti.

Is it safe to put down a deposit.

Are there any cars on the showroom floor for sale that you can drive home?

How much did you end up paying with their firesale discounts?

Bob

in mid-February, they offered a handful of 06's for $45k and 07's for $55k. I'm not sure if any of those are left - but there was a report on another chat that they'll be bringing more cars up from Cancun, including some V6 coupes.

If you cangetb through to someone in Atlanta, it should be safe to put a deposit down and quickly pick up a car. Based on Marc U's comments on his 07, I'd recommend a visual inspection for missing items ( his was a hood latch).

Jeff

[What is the status at Avanti Cancun?

I was trying to get my son to buy a new Avanti.

Is it safe to put down a deposit.

Are there any cars on the showroom floor for sale that you can drive home?

How much did you end up paying with their firesale discounts?

Bob