Weather strip_door

BillyBob

Long worn, my door weather strip (top, just under drip rail) is well-past replace/rebuild.  Is there a home-brew remedy for repairing this?   ...looks like there might be 6 - or so -  screws holding weather strip in place.  See image for dangling weather strip. Thanks, Bill

weather stripping_door.jpg

All the Avanti weather stripping is available through the vendors, even the rear quarter window seals.  It would be far better to use the correct weather stripping than a "home brew" method. The weather stripping also needs to be correctly installed.  I had my '76 completely repainted in 2015, removing all windows as well as the weather stripping.  New weather stripping was installed but no putty or bedding compound was used under the drip rails or windshield.  My trip on Route 66 from Chicago area to Santa Monica proved to be really soggy on the first part of the trip driving through heavy rains from Chicago to St. Louis.  Water wicked under the drip rails and dripped on shoulders and the windshield leaked on our legs.  After Missouri, no more rain was encountered on the trip. After the trip, a run back to the body shop to properly use the bedding compound solved the issues.

Not really a part you can home brew.  That part is avaible new though and of the weather stripping, one of the easier to replace.  Slight mods as it is a touch long and the front end needs a slight angle cut tapering as the edge goes from outer side to inner edge.

I am in the middle of redoing my window seals.  The tricky part about the vertical seals is getting the weather strip adhesive to stick.  The stuff seems to repel surfaces you want it to stick to and magnetically attractive to the surfaces you don't want it on.  I finally (I think) found success by lightly abrading the surface to apply glue to with a light stainless brush and some adhesive solvent.