How Many AVX's?

Ernie

I've seen a couple of numbers discussed...all less than a dozen. Maybe even no more than 3-6. I tend to believe the lower numbers as I've never seen photos identifying more than the same three cars...a coupe, a T-Top and a convertible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Look do any body know how many 2002 T-Top Sports Coupe's were made, on pontiac chasse's that year?

According to John Hull's recent book, there were 53 Avanti's made from 2001-2004 using the TransAm platform. I would guess the majority were convertibles. I had read somewhere (which escapes me) that nearly all sales were for convertibles and Avanti Motors wasn't even buying non-convertible platforms from GM after a certain point. My '02 convertible is #20 of those 53...its assembly date was 12/01 according to the manufacturer's plate on the door jamb.

• 1 month later...

Again according to John Hull's book "Three "factory" AVX automobiles were built. The coupe and T-top models were built on Pontiac Firebird chassis with the convertible built on a Chevrolet Camaro chassis." I don't have any idea what "factory" means. But the story here was really interesting and the pictures of the cars are really great--sure would love to have the money to buy one if they were still made. If these were made today as an electric vehicle with even a 100 mile range and quick recharge capacity, it sure seems they might sell very well.

• 12 years later...

Three is the correct answer for the number of AVX's built. One coupe, one convertible and one T-top.

AVX 1 (coupe) is owned by AZ chapter prez Dale Sexton, who is the third owner of this stunning turquoise car. Dale has a lot of documentation on this car designed by Tom Kellogg, one of the original Avanti designers. Here it is alongside my '71 Avanti at a recent car show in the Arcadia neighborhood of Phoenix. 

IMG_8271.jpeg

Edited by Desert Driver

On 9/1/2008 at 6:13 PM, Gunslinger said:

According to John Hull's recent book, there were 53 Avanti's made from 2001-2004 using the TransAm platform. I would guess the majority were convertibles. I had read somewhere (which escapes me) that nearly all sales were for convertibles and Avanti Motors wasn't even buying non-convertible platforms from GM after a certain point. My '02 convertible is #20 of those 53...its assembly date was 12/01 according to the manufacturer's plate on the door jamb.

Three is the correct answer for the number of AVX's built. One coupe, one convertible and one T-top.

So this is now confusing, how many are actually out there built? Did someone other than the "factory" build the others or are there really only 3?

3 hours ago, Stacey said:

So this is now confusing, how many are actually out there built? Did someone other than the "factory" build the others or are there really only 3?

Please keep in mind that AVXs are not Avantis and were not built in any factory.  Three is the correct number of finished cars.  A fourth was started and not finished.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Ok, can someone please explain the difference between the AVX and my (soon to be delivered) 2002 Avanti (which was 1 of 77 that year) ?

So what's different? These 3 above look very much like what I am purchasing. I do see a few changes but they are cosmetic... What about the actual driveline and platforms?

If I remember…the AVX cars had the drive trains of the previous generation of Firebirds.  The LS engines first appeared in the ‘98 Corvette C-5…a model year before it was available in other GM applications.

You said your car was 1 of 77 for 2002.  John Hull states in his book there were 53 Avantis built from 2002-2004.  

Thanks Gun.

I took my info from a site....TheAvanti.com.

Below is a Copy Paste from a section on their site.

This still isn't answering what I was asking. Maybe I wasn't clear... What makes the 3 Avanti's (above) different than the production models listed below,. Are they prototypes?

I might add, the 2002 has the LS based engine with 325 hp....It's due at my door on the 13th.

AMC Avanti Production

YEAR

QUANTITY

SAMPLE SERIAL NUMBERS

COMMENTS

Firebird  Trans Am or Formula Based

2G2FV32G622103520

AZ-263451

2G2FV32G922106587

1FAFP45X64F202126

Mustang GT based

Mustang GT based

Edited by aardvark

Desert Driver in a different thread sorta answered the question I've had as to wether those 3 were Prototypes. If He is accurate, now I get it.  

Heres His post

"Keep the faith"....great advice from Jim Bunting to loyal Avanti owners worldwide. It was great to hear the many stories from the man who produced AVX 1-3, and was the inspiration for 2001-2007 Avantis. Every single Avanti from 1963 on was so eye catching, that many groceries were dropped by those who saw one drive by. Congratulations, Mr Bunting. Mission accomplished! 

So the three were from 2000 and they were the Prototypes for the 2001 - 2006.?

Sounds right to me.

Only difference that is obvious is the front bumper is recessed in further than the actual production vehicles..

There were only 3 AVX automobiles.  All were 1997 models.  The first is a coupe, the second is a convertible, and third is a t-top model.   the 2001 to 2005 Avantis were based on the three AVX models and look similar, but I heard that none of the body panels on the 2001 to 2005 Avantis will interchange with the AVX models. 

https://www.theavanti.com/avx.html

https://www.theavanti.com/bunting.html

Thanks Ischuc.

I appreciate the verification on this. It helps me understand my upcoming purchase of a '02' model (coming in on Saturday). Interesting is the timeline ('97') and lack of compatibility, and yet they look so much alike.

So I'm assuming again the first 3 are "prototypes" to the '01-06' models and even the Stang based unit.

I'm now going to look over your links. Appreciate the info.