Avanti Wheels

gibbs_r1

I am putting aftermarket wheels on my 63 Avanti and was wondering what widths and backspacing seem to work the best. I definately want wider then stock tires in the back. It has the steeltech disc on the fronts and I'm working on corvette discs on the rear ( i think the rotor will act as a .5" spacer on the rear). According to my calculations a 7" wide wheel with 5-5.5" backspace will work. I think that is about a 2" pos. offset? Anybody out there every done this? I ordered a set of american racing rodmaster wheels, 15x7 4" BS but they stick way out. I don't want to make the mistake of ordering wrong wheels again.

Related:

I was thinking of getting the Steeltechs on the front.

Do you know what offset will fit there? What are you now running there?

I currently have new 15x6 Magnum 500s but would like to go to a 17, but am afraid to buy without knowing.

The guy at Steeltech has been absolutely no help.

Thanks,

Paul

I am putting aftermarket wheels on my 63 Avanti and was wondering what widths and backspacing seem to work the best. I definately want wider then stock tires in the back. It has the steeltech disc on the fronts and I'm working on corvette discs on the rear ( i think the rotor will act as a .5" spacer on the rear). According to my calculations a 7" wide wheel with 5-5.5" backspace will work. I think that is about a 2" pos. offset? Anybody out there every done this? I ordered a set of american racing rodmaster wheels, 15x7 4" BS but they stick way out. I don't want to make the mistake of ordering wrong wheels again.

You can run as much as 6" BS on the rear. its a close fit ,but it does clear.Have used 15x10 wheels on rear. now running 20x8.5. would have prefered20x9.5 . but no one was making them at the time.

Related:

I was thinking of getting the Steeltechs on the front.

Do you know what offset will fit there? What are you now running there?

I currently have new 15x6 Magnum 500s but would like to go to a 17, but am afraid to buy without knowing.

The guy at Steeltech has been absolutely no help.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul, the guy at steeltech is no help, infact i ordered my setup 7 weeks ago and so far all i have is the rotors. He claims to be shipping out the rest this week. As far as the backspacing I have a 17x7" wheel and 4 3/4 BS. I will be happy to let you know the outcome when I get the wheels, I had to custom order them so it could be a few weeks.

Dan

I am running a 17 x 8 with 5.02 backspacing on my Avanti. With my Cobra

brake setup the 13" rotor is used as a spacer and cuts that down to 4.75. I

used long enough wheel studs in the modified Stude hubs to use up to a 1/4

spacer. Right now things clear OK, but at FULL lock my wheel contacts the

upper front threaded bushing cap. Steeltech never got back to me on that

info either, thats one reason I made my own disc setup. The other reason

is I could afford the $700 bucks. I think I made out better anyway. B)

cobra_install021a.jpg

cobra_install024a.jpg

cobra_brake_testdrive006a.jpg

Tom