Avanti Temporary Spare

Avanti83

I want to carry a spare in my 74 but it wears 225X55R17 on eight inch wide mustang wheels. They fit in the well but stick up way to much so I spent a fair amount of time looking at temporary spares that will fit in the well and also let me use the spare on the rear axle which has posi.

Bottom line - I found that 02-12 Ford Escapes used a rim with a 5X4 1/2" (114.3 mm) lug pattern and a 4 1/4" back spacing. With a 135X90R17 tire it calculates out to a very similiar tire OD mounted so I looked on Ebay and found one in Fredrick, Maryland. $85 delivered to my door.

Pulled the front wheel and stood the spare and the car tire next to each other and with a level they are dead level. Installed on the front the spare fits like the others. Looks like crap but it'll get me down the road if necessary. It sets in the well with at least an inch of clearance.

FWIW - It does have the Turner Disc Brake conversion on the front.

Yes I do have a AAA card, Yes I have a smartphone but I'm old and carrying a spare is in my DNA.

Click image for larger version.   Name: IMG_20190612_173359.jpg  Views: 0  Size: 79.8 KB  ID: 81706 Click image for larger version.   Name: IMG_20190612_172010.jpg  Views: 0  Size: 78.1 KB  ID: 81707 Click image for larger version.   Name: IMG_20190612_160658.jpg  Views: 0  Size: 89.7 KB  ID: 81708 Click image for larger version.   Name: IMG_20190612_161442.jpg  Views: 0  Size: 84.2 KB  ID: 81709 Click image for larger version.   Name: IMG_20190612_172517.jpg  Views: 0  Size: 85.5 KB  ID: 81710

Edited by Avanti83

It looks good to me.  It is odd that it is in Frederick Maryland where Gunslinger, another very active Avanti owner on this forum, lives.  

Years ago, we used Chrysler product temporary spares, but that was for "normal" size tires.  

As long as the spare fits one end of the car, you are good to go.  It may require an extra wheel/tire change in the case of a flat.   

Gary, I'm familiar with Gunslinger's location - I've been sending paypal his way and he's been sending Avanti stuff here . I guess that's why I mentioned  the location.

The reason I did all the research on tire and wheel specs was to avoid needing to swap a tire and then put on the spare. The temporary fits front or rear and the matching OD will let me use it on the rear with the posi.

• 11 months later...

Like you, I've been considering a doughnut spare for my '64, so that the spare tire lid will properly seat on the spare tire well.  It's good to hear that there are temporary spares as new as '12 that have the right bolt pattern.  I wonder how the OD compares to the 15" higher profile tires more commonly found on Avantis, especially the Studebaker variety.  Can you tell us the OD of the temporary spare you got?  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Pete Rutledge said:

Like you, I've been considering a doughnut spare for my '64, so that the spare tire lid will properly seat on the spare tire well.  It's good to hear that there are temporary spares as new as '12 that have the right bolt pattern.  I wonder how the OD compares to the 15" higher profile tires more commonly found on Avantis, especially the Studebaker variety.  Can you tell us the OD of the temporary spare you got?  Thanks.

A quick measurement shows about 26.5". The tire size chart shows 26.6"

This is the tire size calculator I used to find the one in my size. It seemed to have a lot of the doughnut sizes. Just for the record, I also use 114.3 mm for the bolt pattern.

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

With regard to everyones spare tire problem:   RQB3263  NOW HAS 16" 2007 ..TO 09 Mustang alloy wheels (they look great)  but i wanted a full size matching spare...Yes the wheel/tire fits the well just fine diameter wise but does stick up about 1 1/2 inch.....I fabed an outside (one time use) mold and made a nice perfect fitting fiberglass cover (blister).....takes up very little space on the trunk floor  and is relatively  attractive... problem solved .....bill gregg rqb3263

• 5 months later...
On 12/5/2020 at 1:13 PM, Lou Van Anne said:

Anyone have this rim/tire combination they want to sell?

I found mine on Ebay if you are looking for the temporary spare. Couldn't find one in the local wrecking yard.

Be sure the tire is the correct size because different models use different tire sizes.