Wanted: 1983 avanti shop manual

Dayla

I don't believe such an animal exists.  I've never seen anything official published beyond the Studebaker Avanti shop and parts manuals.  Everything since we're on our own on.  For the engine a shop manual for that year 305 is about the best you can do.  

45 minutes ago, Gunslinger said:

I don't believe such an animal exists.  I've never seen anything official published beyond the Studebaker Avanti shop and parts manuals.  Everything since we're on our own on.  For the engine a shop manual for that year 305 is about the best you can do.  

Yup! And be sure you get the appropriate 83 GM manual as this vehicle was "blessed" with the computer controlled variable jet carb that is controlled by the ECM under the passenger's side of the dash. I'd probably start with Camaro/Corvette/Monte Carlo. A thought is to visit your local library. They may still have Mitchell's or other manuals but as they age they throw/sell them away. That would let you see if the manual pertains to your carb/dissy and then they are cheap off Ebay.

Edited by Avanti83

If you want the shop manual in order to work on the body of your Avanti, get a 1963-1964 Avanti Shop Manual.  There is currently one offered in the for sale section of this forum.

You can order a reproduction of the 1983 Chevrolet Camaro Shop Manual (or any other GM Shop Manual) from Helm Incorporated (www.helminc.com) for $100.00 and it covers the 305 cid engine and transmission used in the 1983 Avanti.  Helm Incorporated is the original OEM Shop Manual source for GM and several other manufacturers.  Word of warning, when I ordered one for a 1983 Camaro a few years back it came printed single sided and loose.  I had to take it to my local Office Depot and have it bound and the volume of the manual was about two reams of paper.  But that aside, the manual provides a detailed OEM source for diagnosing and repairing drivetrain problems. 

Addendum to kboyd's comments.  If you're gonna actually use your manual and don't mind a bit of soiling, you can find a good used original shop manual on ebay.  They're printed in both sides and have good clear illustrations.  Since you only need it for the drive train, pick one that covers your engine -- Camaro or Impala/Caprice/Malibu.  Prices vary a lot.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=1983+chevrolet+shop+manual&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=1&_osacat=0&_odkw=chevrolet+shop+manual&LH_TitleDesc=0

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2019 at 11:11 AM, Gunslinger said:

Thanks so much! Boy do i have a project :)

On 5/24/2019 at 11:57 AM, Avanti83 said:

Yup! And be sure you get the appropriate 83 GM manual as this vehicle was "blessed" with the computer controlled variable jet carb that is controlled by the ECM under the passenger's side of the dash. I'd probably start with Camaro/Corvette/Monte Carlo. A thought is to visit your local library. They may still have Mitchell's or other manuals but as they age they throw/sell them away. That would let you see if the manual pertains to your carb/dissy and then they are cheap off Ebay.

Thank you very much for that reply! Yeah, my dad wasn't thrilled to hear it was an electronic carb lol,  but he is up for a challenge. (Fortunately, my neighbor knows a guy that does these) I already know i need a carb rebuild kit,  accelerator pump isn't working. And someone messed with it already and broke part of a housing on it. Ugh

On 5/24/2019 at 12:00 PM, studegary said:

If you want the shop manual in order to work on the body of your Avanti, get a 1963-1964 Avanti Shop Manual.  There is currently one offered in the for sale section of this forum.

Thanks!!

On 5/28/2019 at 3:08 PM, kboyd said:

You can order a reproduction of the 1983 Chevrolet Camaro Shop Manual (or any other GM Shop Manual) from Helm Incorporated (www.helminc.com) for $100.00 and it covers the 305 cid engine and transmission used in the 1983 Avanti.  Helm Incorporated is the original OEM Shop Manual source for GM and several other manufacturers.  Word of warning, when I ordered one for a 1983 Camaro a few years back it came printed single sided and loose.  I had to take it to my local Office Depot and have it bound and the volume of the manual was about two reams of paper.  But that aside, the manual provides a detailed OEM source for diagnosing and repairing drivetrain problems. 

Thank you for the info!!

On 6/1/2019 at 1:12 PM, Gunslinger said:

I have a good used shop manual...it's listed for sale on the SDC Forum.

Thanks! I will check it out 

On 6/1/2019 at 8:41 AM, Skip Lackie said:

Addendum to kboyd's comments.  If you're gonna actually use your manual and don't mind a bit of soiling, you can find a good used original shop manual on ebay.  They're printed in both sides and have good clear illustrations.  Since you only need it for the drive train, pick one that covers your engine -- Camaro or Impala/Caprice/Malibu.  Prices vary a lot.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=1983+chevrolet+shop+manual&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=1&_osacat=0&_odkw=chevrolet+shop+manual&LH_TitleDesc=0

Thank you! Much appreciated! 

On 5/24/2019 at 1:00 PM, studegary said:

I believe that the one that I remember is on the SDC (Studebaker Drivers Club) Forum and not here.  I go back and forth between the two forums and sometimes forget what is where.

58 minutes ago, Gunslinger said:

I'm asking $40 for the shop manual and I'll pay shipping 

i cannot yet click on your picture of it, they need to approve my profile.  i finally found you on there.  

Edited by Dayla
Solved the issue