Radio faceplate

J Boyle

I'm looking into the possibility of putting a period Becker radio (like a Studebaker and Mercedes dealer would have put into a new Mercedes) into my 63 Avanti.

The hole in my cars faceplate is 4 1/2" X 1 5/8".

However the Becker needs a smaller faceplate hole of 1 ½ x 3 5/8 ...which Becker says is the standard modern size.

Could someone measure their faceplate hole in an Avanti II?

Hopefully I can get another faceplate.

Thanks.

I believe the Avanti II used the same opening in the bezel as Studebaker did. I have the faceplate out of my '70 since I had an Alpine CD player/stereo installed. I'm out of town right now, and if no one else gives you the dimensions first, I can early next week when I get home.

A good custom stereo installer or custom speed shop should be able to fabricate a bezel if need be to match your interior.

One thing you need to keep in mind is the size of the replacement radio behind the dash opening. Make sure it gives clearance for the speaker mounted above it.

The rectangular opening in the radio faceplate bezel through which the dial and pushbuttons protrude on my '74 Avanti II is 3-5/8" x 1-1/2". This size opening accomodates the Blaupunkt radio which was the original equipment in my Avanti.

The rectangular opening in the radio faceplate bezel through which the dial and pushbuttons protrude on my '74 Avanti II is 3-5/8" x 1-1/2". This size opening accomodates the Blaupunkt radio which was the original equipment in my Avanti.

Thanks Pete!

• 2 weeks later...
I'm looking into the possibility of putting a period Becker radio (like a Studebaker and Mercedes dealer would have put into a new Mercedes) into my 63 Avanti.

The hole in my cars faceplate is 4 1/2" X 1 5/8".

However the Becker needs a smaller faceplate hole of 1 ½ x 3 5/8 ...which Becker says is the standard modern size.

Could someone measure their faceplate hole in an Avanti II?

Hopefully I can get another faceplate.

Thanks.

I have a little bit of experience here, have you solved the problem yet, or do you still need help? If you need help, send me an e-mail

Charlie