Avanti 63R1728 Revisited!

mfg

Last body manufactured by MFG

19 hours ago, lschuc said:

MFG,  just trying to reply to this to trouble shoot the forum problems.  

Lew

PS:  it works... for now..

Thanks Lew!

Wow...  where did you find this information?  As far as I have heard, no one knew the car's serial number or engine number.  

2 hours ago, lschuc said:

Wow...  where did you find this information?  As far as I have heard, no one knew the car's serial number or engine number.  

From detailed production order...I just tried to post info, but was blocked.

Will try to post info again tomorrow.

Edited by mfg

From a past issue of Avanti Magazine I believe the serial number was determined by a search of production orders as it was supposedly the first black Avanti exported to the UK.  Some have said it was the first black Avanti but that may not be correct.

I understand the car was destroyed.  I can't remember, though, where I got that information.  Fleming used to ship it ahead to where he might be traveling.  If he shipped it to Jamaica where he lived part of the year I can see the salt environment was very detrimental to the car's frame.  If this car still exists and can be located it would be one of the most valuable Avantis one could find...regardless of condition.

It was not the first black Avanti.  My black '63 R1 is 63R-1250, and was the 15th black car.... but the first black car with a black & fawn  interior. 

I've heard not long ago that Ian Fleming's car may be somewhere in Spain, but no confirmation yet.

Lew

This car fascinates me. Lots of stories but which one is true

I thought I read that Fleming had to push hard for Black as it wasn't being offered at the time? Was it a one off or was it the start of Black being an option again?

I have also read that it was in a wrecking yard in the UK and maybe destroyed.

I wrote to Flemings stepson years ago and he didnt know what happened to it.

I emailed an author  who wrote a book on Fleming. He was surprised that the car had so much attention ( sounded like he had been asked the question numerous times). He was sure the car went to Flemings friend Hilary Bray. For you 007 fans you might recognise the name as it was the main character played by James Bond in On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Fleming often used his friends and enemies names in books.

I think a careful analysis of production orders with all available photos it should be identified or at least narrowed down to a few vehicles.

I have seen a photo of the Avanti with 'TT' symbols on it, maybe that's on the order or maybe installed later.

If what MFG states is correct maybe we already have that answer.

I look forward to the production order being posted tomorrow and really hope the car, in any condition, is still around.

pb

I believe that Lew will be posting the P.O. for Studebaker Avanti 63R1728 very soon!.......Ed

Here is the production order, Ed.  (and still squashing bugs in the server software and fine tuning).... Lew

IMG_0053.JPG

Edited by lschuc
Edited to add image of production order

8 hours ago, lschuc said:

It was not the first black Avanti.  My black '63 R1 is 63R-1250, and was the 15th black car.... but the first black car with a black & fawn  interior. 

I've heard not long ago that Ian Fleming's car may be somewhere in Spain, but no confirmation yet.

Lew

The P.O. for Fleming's 63R1728 indicates that it's very similar to Lew's 63R1250 Avanti.....'Avanti Black' with black and fawn interior.

63R1728 was equipped with the R2 engine...I believe Lew's Avanti is R1 powered......Both automatics.

3 hours ago, mfg said:

The P.O. for Fleming's 63R1728 indicates that it's very similar to Lew's 63R1250 Avanti.....'Avanti Black' with black and fawn interior.

63R1728 was equipped with the R2 engine...I believe Lew's Avanti is R1 powered......Both automatics.

It looks to me that the Fleming car had black vinyl interior.  The "North River" is what is now called the Hudson River.

8 hours ago, mfg said:

But my '63 black Avanti is an R1 and was built much earlier than the one supposedly sent to England.   Mine was the 250th Avanti produced and the 15th black car with black and fawn interior.  :)

Automotive historian Richard Quinn seemed quite convinced that 63R1728 was indeed the Ian Fleming Studebaker Avanti (In the 10/96 issue of TW) for the following reasons........

Only Studebaker Avanti shipped to the U.K. finished in 'Avanti Black'

Supercharged

Black/Fawn interior

Powershift

Blackwall tires

All facts above concur with the one or two published photos of Ian Fleming and his new Avanti taken in England in early 1963.......Ed:)

Kind of odd that a metric speedometer wasn't written for 63R1728 on its P.O.!:huh:

I've seen P.O's for other Studebaker Avantis destined for Europe, and a metric speedo head is usually specified.

6 minutes ago, Gunslinger said:

Doesn't or at least didn't England use miles and not the metric system?

Good question....i thought they used metrics, but perhaps not?:huh:

On 5/3/2019 at 5:04 PM, mfg said:

Kind of odd that a metric speedometer wasn't written for 63R1728 on its P.O.!:huh:

I've seen P.O's for other Studebaker Avantis destined for Europe, and a metric speedo head is usually specified.

That information may be on the original production order.

What you posted is not a copy of that production order.

IMG_0053.JPG

3 minutes ago, Regnalbob said:

That information may be on the original production order.

What you posted is not a copy of that production order.

IMG_0053.JPG

This shipping document lists all pertinent information from the P.O. Once again, a metric speedometer is not specified.