RM's Targa R2 Sold

Peddler

I was somewhat shocked to see the R2 sold at RM's Fort Lauderdale sale bring the money it did, $104,500.00 with the fee.  It was a custom done by someone who installed a Targa Top on R-2833 "in the style of Raymond Loewy".  It also had an aftermarket AC unit added where the surge tank would usually be though the interior work looks factory.  Though the car look OK from a fast horse I think it is far from perfect, no pictures from underneath at all.  I would have guessed this car to go for  a lot less but it goes to show you never know with auctions.  

Wow!  I wonder if two people thought this was a one-of-one factory original. As you say, auctions can go either high, low or market correct.  We have a condo that is going to go up for absolute auction.  We are concerned about having at least two "good" bidders.

21 minutes ago, Peddler said:

I think RM made it clear this was not a production car or a prototype so I can't imagine what they were thinking.

Just auction fever I would guess.  Two people with money that just simply wanted that Avanti.