14" Avanti!

mfg

25 minutes ago, brad said:

Less rotational mass (quicker revving), and less HP drag to run.

Brad's answers are correct, however, they are basically the SAME answer said two different ways!:o

Anyone out there know the TRUE second reason?:huh:

I don't know if this is a correct answer or simply a necessary compromise on Studebaker's part, but with the R3/R4 engines using thinner motor mounts and the engine sitter lower, the standard fan could have easily struck the fan shroud.  Using a smaller diameter fan could negate this without the need to design a different shroud for cars so equipped.  

1 hour ago, Gunslinger said:

I don't know if this is a correct answer or simply a necessary compromise on Studebaker's part, but with the R3/R4 engines using thinner motor mounts and the engine sitter lower, the standard fan could have easily struck the fan shroud.  Using a smaller diameter fan could negate this without the need to design a different shroud for cars so equipped.  

As far as I know, the Avanti R3's standard fan was the 17" one used on the R1&R2 Avantis....Those fans cleared the shroud, so opting for a 14' diameter fan would not be an advantage for that reason.