1965 ll's!

mfg

4 hours ago, mfg said:

According to a well known Avanti collector and historian, ......?...... Avanti ll's were produced for the 1965 model year.

1) 29......2) 39.......3) 45.....or.....4) 56

4} 56 is the number that I have been using for years.  I am not the person that you refer to, but perhaps we agree.  

16 hours ago, studegary said:

4} 56 is the number that I have been using for years.  I am not the person that you refer to, but perhaps we agree.  

Sorry no, he doesn't agree with you Gary....Your #4 is not correct!:(

15 minutes ago, studegary said:

I checked and John Hull agrees with me, so you must be referring to someone else.

Oh-oh!:o...we have a conflict here, as John's posted info disagrees with you!

Anyone else have any thoughts about this trivia question?:huh:

25 minutes ago, mfg said:

Oh-oh!:o...we have a conflict here, as John's posted info disagrees with you!

Anyone else have any thoughts about this trivia question?:huh:

John Hull's book; "Avanti The Complete Story" (page 125), has 56 as production for the 1965 model year (0001-0056).

53 minutes ago, studegary said:

John Hull's book; "Avanti The Complete Story" (page 125), has 56 as production for the 1965 model year (0001-0056).

John Hull, in an AOAI magazine, stated that 45 1965 model year Avanti ll's were constructed.......Also, A Mr. J.P. Chevier (a Canadian) took delivery of a 1966 model year Avanti ll in 1966.

The serial number on that 1966 Avanti ll is RQA 0047.....If RQA 0047 is a '66, how could there have been 56 '65's built???

CORRECT ANSWER...#3

Edited by mfg

Whether this might be the case is open to debate...I don't pretend to know if this was the situation...but it's pretty well known that Avanti Motors didn't build or sell all their cars in numerical order by serial number.  They were also titling cars built in one year as the year it was sold...this was before the federal government required cars to have unique serial numbers (VINs) that identified the model year.  This was no different than Studebaker telling dealers to title '63 Avantis as '64 models if they were leftover '63 inventory.

It's entirely possible that serial number RQA0047 was built in 1965 and not sold until 1966 to the Canadian buyer.  It could have been built by Avanti Motors on spec and sat in inventory until sold.  If that is the case (speculation on my part), its also entirely possible that 56 Avantis were built in 1965 but not all were titled as 1965 cars.

We'll probably never really know unless someone (possibly John Hull) has the production records to verify.  That could be the basis for his figures.  essentially...there could well be a difference in the number of Avanti II vehicles actually built in 1965 and sold and titled in 1965.  The question was cars actually produced in 1965...not sold and titled so there's room for interpretation and debate.

i recently sold #0050 that was built in november, 1965. i have the sheet for verification if necessary but it is stored until april.

17 hours ago, arkus said:

i recently sold #0050 that was built in november, 1965. i have the sheet for verification if necessary but it is stored until april.

Very interesting!:o.....Can you tell us if RQA0050 was titled as a 1965 or a 1966?

it was titled as a '66 by the time i bought it, mind you some 50 years after assembly but i didn't get a continuous title trail with it. 

17 hours ago, arkus said:

it was titled as a '66 by the time i bought it, mind you some 50 years after assembly but i didn't get a continuous title trail with it. 

Interesting that your Avanti ll was titled as a '66....If that's the year assigned to it when it left the factory, it would support the idea that under fifty (perhaps forty-five!) factory designated 1965 model year Avanti ll's were built.:o