Help Please On Purchase

M&M

Hello,

I am in Southern Idaho. I am 68 yrs young and have always admired and wanted a Avanti whether it was a 63 or 64 or a Avanti II.  I would like to buy a driver quality soon. I have restored many cars and have several AMC’s that I am working on restoring them. 

I have been conversing with 3 different sellers within 500- 600 miles of me in Washington and Oregon. One seller has a 1979 Avanti II that he has restored and wants $16,000 for but it has a frame that has rusted through in 2 areas. He tried to convince me to just weld it and I said I’ll pass on it.

There is also a 1974 with a 400 and 4 speed in Portland. It is a bit edgy. He took it in on trade for some land. He is the 6th or 7th owner. He claims the previous owner stated the car has original miles of 49,000. The dash has small cracks, the car has been repainted and needs another paint job in order to show it. The carpet is worn and the seats show a little wear. I am doubting tha it has 49,000 miles with this wear. He is asking $17,000 or best offer.

There is also a 1981 (title says) in Washington. The seller took it in on trade for a 32 Ford that he had restored. It has right at 100,000 miles on it. It is a auto with a 305. I am not fond of the idea of a 305  155 hp engine. If I were to buy it I would remove the 305 ( and save it) then install a 350 300 hp or so. Just my preference. The other thing is that this car has fiberglass bumpers painted to match the car, WHY. All of the pictures I have seen of the 81 shows the car with chrome bumpers. The fiberglass ones bother me. Is it possible the original bumpers got rusty in Washington and the owner at the time just bought fiberglass replacements? The seller wants $12,000 for it. The car can use another paint job. The interior shows just a bit of wear, needs carpet and the dash has no cracks. This is probably my favorite with the exception of the bumpers and the engine size. 

If I could get a bit of advice on the 81 especially it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mel

I am familiar with all of these cars. They have been on the market since I bought my 81’ in Aug. I realize these the west coast cars are easier to get to see and transport but my advice is utilize this forum and keep looking for the car you really want. No Avanti is going to be perfect and they all have there strong points. In my opinion you want a car with “solid Hog Troughs” and frame. Mine was from Nevada and has no rust, that being said I need to repair my moon roof, air conditioning and cruise control. Keep in mind parts for theses cars are elusive and can be very expensive. 

Pick the brains of the people on this forum and don’t purchase a car on impulse.

Good hunting on your quest.

No. All 81’s came from the factory with chrome bumpers. Some owners sent their cars back to the factory to be updated to the molded bumpers. It’s whats known as the “Blake updating”. The car you are looking at is one of those I’m sure. I looked at this car as it has been on the market for quite some time. I don’t particularly care for the late 83’s and later Avanti ll’s myself. I owned an 81 30 years ago and loved the car. I prefer the Recaro interior cars for there comfort. I have a crate Goodwrench in my car and it runs great. If you look up RQB- 3352 on Google you will see pic. if it ( dark blue exterior, red and white interior).

Welcome

The most expensive repairs on an Avanti's are paint, frame and hog troughs. If you are looking for a driver heed the advice above and keep looking until you find what you are looking for.

In the price range you a quoting there will be a number of SBC powered ones that will show up in your search if you stay patient.

Unless you do your own mechanical work find the best one you can afford.

Lastly, the 80-83 years are generally more comfortable than the earlier versions due to better seat options. Even the standard seats in my 83 are quite good (for an Avanti) while the 74 not so much. It's my personal opinion based on limited data but the 80's cars are just a better vehicle that the earlier ones but that was also reflected in the price as my 83 stickered at over $30K.

The Studebaker Avanti's are usually higher in price for a comparable car to the SBC powered ones and mechanical help with the engines and trans are more difficult to find. On the other hand, they are the original Avanti's.

Once you go beyond 83, the style changes to painted bumpers and in a couple of years GM frames and running gear. I personally like the chrome bumpered pre-84 models but the later models offer may advantages and if you find them attractive/interesting then they are another option.

Now on the cars you mentioned. Both 70's models are way overpriced particularily with rust.

The 81 may be a better deal but unless you know the rust issues or lack there of it's a gamble particularity needing paint which will add several thousand dollars to the price at a minimum. Honestly, the 305's are not my idea of excitement but good rebuilt replacements are not expensive nor difficult to install. 

Edited by Avanti83

If you can afford to spend a bit more, consider the 1964 Studebaker Avanti R5063 which is in the 'Avantis for sale' ads on this forum

68 thousand mile car....not many like this one still around!.....Good luck!

4 hours ago, M&M said:

Hello,

I am in Southern Idaho. I am 68 yrs young and have always admired and wanted a Avanti whether it was a 63 or 64 or a Avanti II.  I would like to buy a driver quality soon. I have restored many cars and have several AMC’s that I am working on restoring them. 

I have been conversing with 3 different sellers within 500- 600 miles of me in Washington and Oregon. One seller has a 1979 Avanti II that he has restored and wants $16,000 for but it has a frame that has rusted through in 2 areas. He tried to convince me to just weld it and I said I’ll pass on it.

There is also a 1974 with a 400 and 4 speed in Portland. It is a bit edgy. He took it in on trade for some land. He is the 6th or 7th owner. He claims the previous owner stated the car has original miles of 49,000. The dash has small cracks, the car has been repainted and needs another paint job in order to show it. The carpet is worn and the seats show a little wear. I am doubting tha it has 49,000 miles with this wear. He is asking $17,000 or best offer.

There is also a 1981 (title says) in Washington. The seller took it in on trade for a 32 Ford that he had restored. It has right at 100,000 miles on it. It is a auto with a 305. I am not fond of the idea of a 305  155 hp engine. If I were to buy it I would remove the 305 ( and save it) then install a 350 300 hp or so. Just my preference. The other thing is that this car has fiberglass bumpers painted to match the car, WHY. All of the pictures I have seen of the 81 shows the car with chrome bumpers. The fiberglass ones bother me. Is it possible the original bumpers got rusty in Washington and the owner at the time just bought fiberglass replacements? The seller wants $12,000 for it. The car can use another paint job. The interior shows just a bit of wear, needs carpet and the dash has no cracks. This is probably my favorite with the exception of the bumpers and the engine size. 

If I could get a bit of advice on the 81 especially it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mel

Very good advice from each and every one of you. You have all helped me a ton. I know what you mean for the cost of a paint job. I just paid $4500 to get my 69 AMX painted and I had all of the body work done and apart. I know fiberglass bodies fairly well since I have restored several Corvettes in my lifetime.

Thank you all for the input. This forum is great! 

Now I just keep looking so I don’t get myself in trouble.

When I bought my current '78 ten years ago, it was after a lengthy search.  It had no rust issues, good paint, NO sunroof, crank windows (sunroof and power windows are usually problematic), low mileage, 350 engine, and steel bumpers.  It was pretty much original and unmolested, and has needed very little over the years.  Avantis like this still show up for sale on occasion, and I would highly recommend waiting, and even paying a bit more for a car that doesn't need a lot.  A frequently heard quote here is "There is nothing more expensive than a cheap Avanti". 

19 hours ago, studegary said:

IMO, the first two are overpriced, even if they were in very good condition.  Get the Serial Number/VIN of the third one and post it here so that we know exactly what the car is.  

Here is the serial number for the 1981. It is 12AAV1237B1003276.. I have the price down to $9000 . If someone can decipher this vin # for me soon, I would really appreciate it.

If you google RQB-3276 it comes up as last being offered for sale in 2010 out of Connecticut.

As I said I looked at this car online but did not care for the rubber bumper treatment. If you are seriously considering purchasing this car make sure you have someone who knows Avanti’s look at it first.

The price isn’t bad in my opinion, but if you are thinking you can convert it back to chrome I wouldn’t buy it. If you want a chrome bumpered car hold off and get one that has not been messed with, in the long run you will save time, money and aggravation.

3 hours ago, M&M said:

Here is the serial number for the 1981. It is 12AAV1237B1003276.. I have the price down to $9000 . If someone can decipher this vin # for me soon, I would really appreciate it.

That Avanti was built about mid-way through the 1981 model year.

Well I backed off the one in Washington. The seller told me that the Avanti spent its life in California ( typically rust free state) and had no rust. I ran the rqb number and found that it spent its life in Vermont, New Jersey and Ma. It was noted in a eBay sale in the east previously that the drivers hog trough was rotted. I finally convinced the seller to look at it and indeed it was rotted and needed replaced. 

I was looking at a 74 four speed car in Portland that is a bit edgy that I thought I could get the price down on. The seller says it has 49,000 actual. After running the rqb number I see that the car sold in 2005 in Colorado with 48,000 on it. Go figure!  I backed away from it also.

I also was going to roll the dice on one back east in a rust prone area for $3000 with a blown motor. Almost bought it but the lady wants cash only and will not send me a pic of the title. I offered a cashiers check drawn on her bank for a $500 deposit and the balance in full when the transport driver picks it up but she won’t . I am convinced this is a scam.

I was going to buy the white one on eBay as I can replace hog troughs (needs both) and also needs a rear crossmember but the seller wants too much and right at his BIN price. 

Am looking at 2 on Hemmings currently. One is near me.  Something will show soon. Also looked through inventory at the Barret Jackson auction in Scottsdale next month but no Avanti there.

OK, thanks, sorry, obviously I got confused. I re-sent it to M&M

BTW, in looking at my profile, I am reaching the limit on attachments (photos, etc)... many are from posts that are quite old, doesn't appear to allow me to delete any,  anyone know how I can get rid of some of these?

Edited by WayneC
added a question

On 12/30/2018 at 4:49 PM, WayneC said:

OK, thanks, sorry, obviously I got confused. I re-sent it to M&M

BTW, in looking at my profile, I am reaching the limit on attachments (photos, etc)... many are from posts that are quite old, doesn't appear to allow me to delete any,  anyone know how I can get rid of some of these?

Wayne,  you should be able to call up your old posts and delete the photos, or probably the entire post if you desire....  but first delete the photos in your old posts to make sure they are gone, then you can delete the post too if you wish.

• 3 weeks later...

One thing you stated about the 49k miles and all the wear. I inherited my grandfathers Avanti. 59k original miles but the carpet looks so worn out and used up. The gauges are ok but a couple are falling apart. The driver seats ripped a little for whatever reason and some cracks in certain spots of vinyl on the front seats. So i would go off of the undercarriage and engine bay to decide if i thought it was only driven 49k miles.