R5642 & 43!

mfg

The last two 'production line' Studebaker Avantis built were identical except for five things, and they are..........................................................................?

There MAY also be a 'sixth' difference.....can anyone name it?

Three things that were the same; R3 engine, AT, white color.  I will leave differences to someone else, but we know that it is not these three.  Someone probably has a copy of the production orders that will make this easy. 

3 hours ago, studegary said:

Three things that were the same; R3 engine, AT, white color.  I will leave differences to someone else, but we know that it is not these three.  Someone probably has a copy of the production orders that will make this easy. 

We're looking for differences here, not likenesses!:wacko:

1 hour ago, StudeNorm said:

One with one without FM radio and dual outside rearview mirrors...

Have to disagree here Norm:(......The PO's only list "RAD PUSH" for both of these Avantis,....... and the outside mirrors are not mentioned on either car.

In pictures I've seen, 5642 had Halibrands, and 5643 just had hubcaps. However, these were probably somewhat current pics so may not reflect the 'as-built' configuration. Were any Halibrands installed at the factory or were they strictly dealer-installed?

2 hours ago, r1lark said:

In pictures I've seen, 5642 had Halibrands, and 5643 just had hubcaps. However, these were probably somewhat current pics so may not reflect the 'as-built' configuration. Were any Halibrands installed at the factory or were they strictly dealer-installed?

As far as I know, the optional Halibrand mag wheels were dealer installed....so I guess we can't call that a difference between the two last Studebaker Avantis.

HEY!!........you guys are missing two REALLY OBVIOUS differences!!:o

2 hours ago, r1lark said:

Minor things - one had a 'sun band' and one had a rear speaker.

Yes!....these are two definite 'as built' differences!

However, there are still two RATHER MAJOR differences between these two Studebaker Avantis 'still on the table'!!

Come on Paul....I know you can do it!!:D

Same engine, same color, both had square headlights, same transmission, had same tires, we already listed the interior color as a difference.

Could not find any evidence that either had a rear axle ratio other than the standard.

Maybe rear axle differences (but I thought all the R3 avantis got the flanged rear axle................)

Maybe the revised front suspension components?

I'm drawing a blank. :(

16 hours ago, r1lark said:

I don't have copies.of the actual PO's, just summary's from George Krem. 

So, guess I'll say uncle! :wacko:

OK,...........and I think these two differences are a GREAT example of the expression..........'Hidden in plain sight'!!:D

Major difference #1...................They have, of course,   DIFFERENT SERIAL NUMBERS.......R5642 & R5643!

Major difference # 2..................They have, naturally,     DIFFERENT ENGINE NUMBERS.......R3SM506 & R3SM306!

What could identify and differentiate a particular Studebaker Avanti more than these two items?:o

On 11/24/2018 at 8:23 AM, r1lark said:

Could not find any evidence that either had a rear axle ratio other than the standard.

Maybe rear axle differences

Good answer Paul!....and this is the 'possible' "sixth" difference which I mentioned in this trivia question.....These two Avantis 'POSSIBLY' have different rear axle ratios!:o:)

9 hours ago, mfg said:

OK,...........and I think these two differences are a GREAT example of the expression..........'Hidden in plain sight'!!:D

Major difference #1...................They have, of course,   DIFFERENT SERIAL NUMBERS.......R5642 & R5643!

Major difference # 2..................They have, naturally,     DIFFERENT ENGINE NUMBERS.......R3SM506 & R3SM306!

What could identify and differentiate a particular Studebaker Avanti more than these two items?:o

Well.........honestly I had thought of that..........but then figured they would have different ignition & trunk key numbers, different body numbers, etc..............so didn't figure you were looking for things like that.

So if we are counting serial and engine numbers, then we need to count key numbers and body numbers too, which brings the number of differences to eight maybe nine. :D

Edited by r1lark
fix spelling error