A couple newbie questions

Stuart Boblett

There are three toggle switches under the dash of my 82. What is the switch to the left of the steering column?

Where is the oil pressure sending unit on the 305 engine of an 82?

Where does the distributor cover attach to the engine and does it serve any real purpose these days?

Thanks

41 minutes ago, Stuart Boblett said:

There are three toggle switches under the dash of my 82. What is the switch to the left of the steering column?

Where is the oil pressure sending unit on the 305 engine of an 82?

Where does the distributor cover attach to the engine and does it serve any real purpose these days?

Thanks

That toggle to the left of the column doesn't sound 'factory' to me....could be a prior owner's addition.

The (electric) oil pressure sender is screwed into the engine block right next to the distributor.

The distributor cover 'snaps' into place over the the front of the round plastic spark plug wire hold down located at the very top of the distributor......There is also a channel molded into it that slides around the auto trans filler tube.

If the foil is still inside it, it indeed can help squelch radio ignition static on the 'AM' band.

Hope this helps!....Ed:)

Thanks Ed, that helps. I thought the same thing about the toggle switches but the original owner that I purchased it from stated that they were all original. One is for the power door locks (there is a listing for that switch in the Avanti Parts Catalog) and one turns on the interior lights. There are no other switches for these functions. The left one I do not have a clue and I cannot tell what if anything it operates.  All the differences from car to car, as I understand, add to the mystique of these wonderful cars. Thanks again.

9 hours ago, Footer said:

Stuart

On my 83 the toggle to the left of the steering column operates the power antenna. No idea if it is factory or not!  Mike

I believe that you're on to something there!:)

34 minutes ago, Gunslinger said:

The switch might be for a rear window defroster if the car is equipped with one.

Probably not for the rear window defroster.....On an '82 Avanti,the rear defroster toggle switch would be grouped with the power window toggle switches on the center console.:)

On my 83 (RQB3771) the three under dash toggles are power antenna, door locks, and interior lights. Console left to right are left window, de-icer, auxiliary lights, and right window. All the switches are the same so I’m thinking they are factory, but with all the changes this car has gone through in its life it’s hard to say.  Mike

21 hours ago, Footer said:

On my 83 (RQB3771) the three under dash toggles are power antenna, door locks, and interior lights. Console left to right are left window, de-icer, auxiliary lights, and right window. All the switches are the same so I’m thinking they are factory, but with all the changes this car has gone through in its life it’s hard to say.  Mike

That all sounds 'factory correct'!,....and I do agree that the toggle to the left of the column is there to operate the power antenna!:)