Rear brake hardwear kit

dynolou2

Does any one have a part number for a rear brake hardwear kit for a 1978 or newer Dana 44 as found in an Avanti?  This has the ford 10 inch type of brakes. I tried ordering a set for a Fairmont wagon, from NAPA but they were wrong.  Brad, any answers???    Lou Cote

I don't believe you should be seeking Ford brake hardware for your '78 avanti ll.

From '80-'85 Avanti Motors used a Chevy 1/2 ton pickup truck rear drum brake on their cars......and I'd guess that your '78 uses the same.......It's also not a 10" diameter drum but an 11", and uses Chevy pickup brake shoes, wheel cylinders, and brake hardware.....I think the national brake shoe number is....228.:)

The wheel cylinder may cross to a 78 Fairmont

The shoes on most of my notes are / 1978 - '86 Chevy C-10 truck, '76-89 GMC G10, C1500 GMC Truck

The only note I have on hardware = /Shoe return springs rear only - Wagner 3366429 

10 hours ago, dynolou2 said:

A trip to the, shop shows that the rear shoes are 11 by 2 inch, drums are Kelsey 57973. Backing plates are Bendix 324120 L & R.     Brad ????     Lou Cote

The 'Raybestos' rear brake wheel cylinder number's for your Avanti are....WC36077 (Right)...WC36076 (Left)

If your  wheel cylinders are suitable for honing, you can save $$$$ by purchasing only the Raybestos wheel cylinder kits...WK 373 (L&R)..Auto Zone part# 66811

Not sure why you are using Ford parts in a GM brake system, but if it works for you...Go For It!:)

MFG this rearend was picked up from the origional owner, as he swappped it out for a twin trac unit. Back in the 80's I worked at a K Mart auto center, I know the difference between ford an gm brakes did a lot of both.  As typical with ford rear wheel cylinders, too rusty and pitted to rebuild. My cost at NAPA less than ten each.    Lou