Blown (Up) Avanti!

mfg

Hmm, the January 1964 Hot Rod magazine article  that chronicled the late '63 Studebaker runs said that "Not a single mechanical failure went into the books during the whole 10 days....."

So, what blown engines were experienced? 

Andy blamed the motor oil for the engines overheating and claimed that using STP in each engine saved the day for them.  He also said he used STP in the transmissions after they kept jumping out of gear.  I do know the #8 Avanti overheated and wasn't used for record runs which left it to the #9 car to take the records.

Answer....The only 'blown' (up) engine I've read about during Studebaker's October,1963  'Assault On Bonneville' was the experimental R5 engine that ventilated its block during one of Due Cento's high speed runs.

As far as what Andy's excuse was for any engine failures.....His excuse was..... THERE ARE NO EXCUSES!!:o:)

5 hours ago, silverstude said:

and  do you know where that block is today?.....

I believe the original R5 block is owned by a fellow named Greg Cone.....He had the foresight, back in the late 'sixties', to buy up all of the 'one off' R5 engine parts from the Granatelli Brothers for around $600.

The block was 'holed' just over the oil pan side rail, and apparently it was later repaired.

The 'Due Cento' Bonneville Studebaker Avanti is now owned by a fellow named Richard Bennett......Wouldn't it be 'neat' if someday that R5 engine, and the Avanti it was originally installed into, could be re-united!!:):)