Changing spark plugs

NHcamper

The type of exhaust manifolds can make a difference on how to best access spark plugs...plus the brake booster/master cylinder assembly gets in the way.  The easiest way may be to put the car on a lift and access the spark plugs through the wheel well opening or from underneath.  One thing you learn on an Avanti...nothing is easy.

On my '83, I bored a hole in the inner fender skirt (inside the wheel well) just ahead of the steering box to provide easy access to cylinder #5 plug.....Cylinder #7 I have to reach from beneath the car....Cylinders 1 & 3 can be accessed quite easily from inside the wheel well with the left front (driver's side) tire either on or off.

The passenger side plugs are indeed a bit easier to access.

34 minutes ago, Ron Dame said:

when and where were the heat escape holes bored? What size? Mine runs hot and I run on the highway with the hood popped.I'd like something more elegant

The Avanti factory did indeed drill 'heat escape holes' in some of their cars.......Usually a parallel series of four or five 1 1/4" holes at the rear of the fiberglass inner fender skirt across from the R & L hood latches. (just ahead of cowl panel)

2 hours ago, Ron Dame said:

when and where were the heat escape holes bored? What size? Mine runs hot and I run on the highway with the hood popped.I'd like something more elegant

My 74 with the factory holes as Ed described. I'm not sure how much they helped however.

CHOHL-meugToIQonyOXQPg6rrUHqQFgjvMLCcEwW

Edited by Avanti83

Since owning my 70 with the GM350 and after replacing with the dart head(ed) Jasper (stage 2)......  to get to and replace plugs 5/7 on the drivers side, I have to use a creeper and slide under  from the passenger side to reach up and have some ease in getting them out/in.  The rest of the plugs on the Pside can easily be addessed without issue, as are the 1/3 plugs on the Dside 

On 9/25/2018 at 6:40 PM, Ron Dame said:

Here you can see the location of the holes.  The passenger side has the same.  LC08.thumb.JPG.5a0800d2883aef8f049c1f6ee89276b7.JPG

I was able to change all the plugs?.  Who ever did the last tune up had Autolite platinum and AC Delco mixed together? Two of the plugs were fouled others looked good, not even sure if plug wires were connected. Runs a lot better on 8 cyclinders than 6 lol. Next is dialing in the carb and timing.

Did a vacuum test and found no leaks.