82 door locks

NHcamper

My '78 has 4 different keys from the factory.  Since the ignition switch is MOPAR, the key is totally different from the door locks (GM?).  The glove box appears to be a Studebaker leftover, and the gas door appears to be an ugly lock from Nate Altman's desk drawer.  What were they thinking?  BTW, that gas door lock annoyed me enough that I replaced the door with an earlier style, without a lock.

Bottom line, Yes - a good locksmith can make you a key for locks. You will want to take the locks into his shop. You might ask if he can make them all fit the ignition key setup. The issue maybe that the ignition has more tumblers or the ignition key might not fit but you could ask if you only want one key.

Bear in mind that all four keys are different blanks.  Attempting to go to a single key would be a monumental ($$$) task.  Just consider the lock situation one of the charming peculiarities of the Avanti. ?

Edited by Jim78

Jim78 is right about the dopey “desk drawer” lock on the gas door. You can take the nut off the inside, take the lock tab off, then put the nut back on.  Looks the same, just no lock. I’d rather have someone siphon a few gallons of gas than have someone pry the door open and have to do repair work. And, that’s a key I don’t have to pack around.  Mike