Three Speed Avanti!

mfg

List six 'negatives'' for anyone who purchased a new Studebaker Avanti equipped with the three-speed manual transmission.

(that is, instead of a four speed or Powershift equipped model)

Edited by mfg

T86 not as strong, could be breakage issue with 'spirited' driving

Lower resale value versus a 4-speed or Powershift

Hurst Competition shifters not available for the 3 speed

Ratios in 3 speed would impact 1/4 mile time

A 3 speed in an Avanti was just not cool.............didn't fit the performance image

R2 not available if you wanted a 3-speed

Nice going r1!:)......You got four of my original six negatives!.....( I did not have the "not cool" negative. (that's really a matter of opinion).....and Hurst indeed did make a quality shifter for the three speed...the Hurst 'syncro lock'!

Can anyone come up with my other two 'negatives'?....One of them is actually the most important reason of all!:o

Overdrive was not available on a T86 in an Avanti.........but I didn't include this since neither the T10 nor the Powershift had an overdrive gear, so it's really can't be considered a 'negative'.

OK, how about this negative -- the 3 speed was a T86, not the significantly stronger T85.

1 hour ago, r1lark said:

Overdrive was not available on a T86 in an Avanti.........but I didn't include this since neither the T10 nor the Powershift had an overdrive gear, so it's really can't be considered a 'negative'.

OK, how about this negative -- the 3 speed was a T86, not the significantly stronger T85.

I agree on your overdrive comment....and since the T-85 HD transmission wasn't an Avanti option, we can't consider it here.

HINT!!.....Is it as easy to drive a three speed  Studebaker Avanti as it is a four speed Studebaker Avanti?:huh:

20 minutes ago, mfg said:

I agree on your overdrive comment....and since the T-85 HD transmission wasn't an Avanti option, we can't consider it here.

HINT!!.....Is it as easy to drive a three speed  Studebaker Avanti as it is a four speed Studebaker Avanti?:huh:

It is if you know the shift patterns.

8 hours ago, PackardV8 said:

Assume you're referring to the unsynchonized first gear.

jack vines

Ah........didn't think about the unsynchronized first gear. Probably because I "grew up" on 3 speeds with unsynchronized first gears and am used to them. 

19 hours ago, PackardV8 said:

Assume you're referring to the unsynchonized first gear.

jack vines

Yep!..That's it!:)....To me, the biggest advantage the T-10 has over the T-86 is a synchronized first gear......... ( #1 drawback of the T-86)

The only other 'negative' I had concerning a Studebaker Avanti equipped with the three speed manual trans is that anyone who specified that transmission would probably have to 'special order' the car, making an already long delivery wait time even longer!:(