Converting headlights to LED

Footer

Got caught driving home in the dark a few evenings ago and was a little disappointed in the 83’s halide headlights. Lots of suicidal deer here in eastern Washington and a headlight upgrade might be helpful. Dan Booth is sending me a pair of Cibie driving lights so I might wait and see how much those help. Has anyone installed LED headlights?  Looks like the headlight buckets would have to be cut to accommodate the new lights, and I would much rather cut up a pair out of a wrecking yard than the originals. Thanks, Mike

Installing H4's in my 74. The mod is just about 1/2" circle with aircraft snips. I doubt anyone will have you remove the non-stock headlights to check for OEM sized buckets. I'm not sure if the LED's are larger but it's the same method. The rigidity in the buckets is in the stamped outer edge and rolled section.

kmMPpBF.jpg

lf20Arz.jpg

Edited by Avanti83

Looks like you did a good job cutting them out. I’m not sure but looking at pictures of the LEDs out there they might take a bit bigger cutout. Like you say, the rigidity is stamped into the outside of the ring so they would probably be fine.  The H4’s are probably an option and definitely cheaper than the LEDs, but I’m thinking any improvement would be cheap insurance. Post a report after you give them a try. 

On 9/3/2018 at 9:01 AM, silverstude said:

Avanti83:   What donor H4's did your use?

thx

Nothing special. I picked them off the internet. I know the box says foglight but they are hi/low beams with ballasts and relays.

47seren.jpg

Iy6iI1F.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got my auxiliary driving lights installed, need to get them aimed to see if they are helpful.  Thought I would make a little adjustment on the right headlight and immediately broke the little plastic bracket the adjusting screw goes in. Anyone ever needed one of those?  I can give Dan Booth a call.  Still thinking of an LED or Halide or maybe even another halogen other than the GEs that are in it.  Mike

5EDFC263-F866-4A28-9414-A6CCB7D3652A.jpeg