Time for an Avanti

Rick Stratton

Hello Folks...Rick Stratton...I've definately been bitten by the Studebaker bug, I'm closing on a house here soon and I want to treat myself to an Avanti..I'm looking at whats for sale out there, Turning Wheels and have yet to look at this site..I know that I will pay 20K for a nice 63-64, there is a 71 Avanti II for sale much cheaper, appears to be a mechanically sound GM 350/350, easier,cheaper and more performance combo. But, it is a really funky color/interior combo olive green and gold crushed velvet. The fellow is pricing it really affordable because he knows its funky..I'm feeling like a cheapskate because I'm attracted to the price? am I throwing my money away? am I better off going for the 63 20K Paxton, auto, no AC?.....Rick

Everything else being equal (which it rarely is), the Stude Avanti is a better long-term investment (particlularly a supercharged one). Practically, an Avanti II is better since there was no real standard as they were built for a particular customer so you can change whatever you like to suit yourself and not hurt its value. The Chevy drivetrain is a plus for most purposes.

Also, it's not strictly about the up front price...condition, condition, condition!

If I had it to do over, I might have rather had an Avanti II. Reason is its

going to cost me a LOT of money to rebuild the Studebaker engine, and to

adapt the T56 trans to the Stude engine. If I had an Avanti II, I would

simply install an LT1/T56 combo and call it good. I can not bring myself

to replace the Stude engine - so bye bye money!

Tom

I don't think your wasting money on an Avanti II. Any future Avanti purchases will be non-Stude for me. In fact, if I had it to do all over I would probably gravitate toward an early Avant II over my 64 R2.

Hello Folks...Rick Stratton...I've definately been bitten by the Studebaker bug, I'm closing on a house here soon and I want to treat myself to an Avanti..I'm looking at whats for sale out there, Turning Wheels and have yet to look at this site..I know that I will pay 20K for a nice 63-64, there is a 71 Avanti II for sale much cheaper, appears to be a mechanically sound GM 350/350, easier,cheaper and more performance combo. But, it is a really funky color/interior combo olive green and gold crushed velvet. The fellow is pricing it really affordable because he knows its funky..I'm feeling like a cheapskate because I'm attracted to the price? am I throwing my money away? am I better off going for the 63 20K Paxton, auto, no AC?.....Rick
Edited by ernier

I'll confuse you even more, :huh: how about the 1987 to 1989 Avanti's? They do not have a Studebaker frame, so many problems are eliminated. :D

I agree, if your not going to get a Studebaker the '87 to '89 Avanti's have alot to offer. A more modern chassis with parts available anywhere and easy to get that rake look back. I would love to own a '63, but being able to use my '87 as an every day driver is nice. :)

Jim