General Info w/Pics?

Budk

New member here.

I came across a garage that was basically abandened by the owner about 15 or more years ago. I'm trying to reach the owner and I am talking to the local township as to whether or not they are going to take it over and put it up for sale... anyway, inside the building are 2 Avanti's... one is under a cover and has as 72 sticker on the window so I assume it's a 1972 model in really good shape, the second one is up to it's frame in mud and is basically a parts car (if that). The car beside it, also up to the frame in mud, is a Studebaker with fins on the rear and a bulge on the hood, but it may be beyond restoration.

There are a couple of other non-descript cars and a sailboat and a bunch of parts. My question is, while I'm trying to find out if any or all of this is available for sale, I'd like to start understanding what it might be worth and what exactly the Studebaker is. Can you point me to any websites with info AND pictures that might help?

Thanks. Budk

The Studebaker it sounds like what you are describing is a 1956-1961 Hawk,

which could range from a straight 6 Flight Hawk to a Packard engined Golden

Hawk. The value between the two is significant.

Flight Hawk :

ssflthwk.jpg

Golden Hawk

ladroga.jpg

Big winged Hawks (1957-1961)

tedhwk1.jpg

mahawk2.jpg

The two Avantis are both usable in some way, the one you say is in great

shape obviously, but even the one sunk in the mud might be salvagable.

There is a guy looking for an Avanti body, so even if the frame is toast,

the bodies are fiberglass and should be fine. If the Avanti has the Stude

engine, its a 63/64, if it has a GM engine its 65-82. I am assuming that

they both have chrome bumpers. If you send me pictures to my Email, I

can help you out better.

Take a look at this page, it has lots of pictures:

http://billstudepage.homestead.com/files/stude.htm

Tom

You have a lot of issues to resolve there. You have to determine if there are any outstanding taxes to pay on the property (the county should be able to tell you that), or any other outstanding debts or liens against the property the contents could be seized for auction to pay those debts.

If you can get the VIN's of the Avanti's it will be a big help in determining more about them. At least see if the cars say Avanti II or Studebaker (on the trunk lid). Do they have round headlight frames or square? Automatic transmission or manual? Do either have "Supercharged" emblems on the front quarter panels just ahead of the doors? The 1972 sticker is likely a state registration sticker, not a model year sticker...probably the last year the car was registered.

If you can get the VIN's of the cars, check with your state motor vehivles administration. See if the cars have a current title, or any title. Maybe you can file for lost or abandoned titles to the vehicles.

The finned Stude with the hood bulge sounds like a Hawk...also a desireable car if not too far gone. It certainly may have a supercharger and other parts that can be sold off if the car isn't restorable.

For more info on the Hawk go to the Studebaker Drivers Club website. There are also many other websites that can help. Just do some web searches.

Let us know more of what you find out. We can be of more help also.

Thanks for your replies. I did find out that there are no outstanding tax issues so the absentee owner is keeping up the taxes... while he let's everything rot away. The does not appear to be any liens or open cases against the property. I have his address and will send him a letter to see if I can talk him out of any or all of it. He inherited all of this and has let it go to waste.

Thanks again for your help.

Bud

You have a lot of issues to resolve there. You have to determine if there are any outstanding taxes to pay on the property (the county should be able to tell you that), or any other outstanding debts or liens against the property the contents could be seized for auction to pay those debts.

If you can get the VIN's of the Avanti's it will be a big help in determining more about them. At least see if the cars say Avanti II or Studebaker (on the trunk lid). Do they have round headlight frames or square? Automatic transmission or manual? Do either have "Supercharged" emblems on the front quarter panels just ahead of the doors? The 1972 sticker is likely a state registration sticker, not a model year sticker...probably the last year the car was registered.

If you can get the VIN's of the cars, check with your state motor vehivles administration. See if the cars have a current title, or any title. Maybe you can file for lost or abandoned titles to the vehicles.

The finned Stude with the hood bulge sounds like a Hawk...also a desireable car if not too far gone. It certainly may have a supercharger and other parts that can be sold off if the car isn't restorable.

For more info on the Hawk go to the Studebaker Drivers Club website. There are also many other websites that can help. Just do some web searches.

Since I was trespassing, I didn't want to spend too much time in the garage... plus, I wasn't sure what else is living in there amoungst the piles of dirt. (I don't like snakes) It seems to me that the good Avanti may have had a Studebaker emblem on the right side of the truck lid... does that make sense?

As far as anything else goes, I don't have any more details. Hopefully the guy will respond to my letter. I sent him one about 4 months ago and he never replied. This time, I'm going to include pictures of the building in disrepair hoping that he will rethink whatever decision he is making (or not making). He lives about 500 away from where the cars all so he may not know how bad the building is getting or how damaged some of the cars are. (although, it's possible the cars were in bad shape when they were put in there). The Avanti with the cover on it looks really good. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks. Bud

If the Avanti says Studebaker on it, it has to be either a 1963 or 1964, those

are the more desireable Avantis. We are not talking 1 million dollars like a

COPO 1969 Camaro, but good as far as Studebakers go. Keep us posted, I

am sure that one of us on here would be interested in the "bad" one.

Tom