Tach sending unit replacement advice

Devildog

Another issue on this 1964 R1 is the tach is inop. after sitting for 20+ years.  We reviewed the electric circuits wiring diagram and looked thru the workshop manual, but no procedure to test the tach.  I have heard the round sending unit module (in the can under dash) is the usual problem, we have a replacement to install.

Any tips or comments ?

Thanks for the usual good advice

Joe

IMG_1513.jpg

Edited by Devildog

Install the new sending unit and see what happens.  More than likely it will start working normally.  Don't expect your tach (or speedometer) to be accurate.  They weren't particularly accurate when new.  The faster you go the more inaccurate they become.

Gunslinger does have a valid  solution to the problem. Several years ago when I was confronted with an inoperable tach  I found D&M Restoration in Greenville, SC. I sent them my tach they installed a restored dial & rebuilt the tach to fully self contained electronics. They also calibrated the tach for accuracy . One fringe benefit is that you will no longer need the sending unit that takes up valuable space under the dash. To say that I love it would be an understatement! Was it a bit pricey  YES but results are fantastic & the job is done forever. While you're under the dash it would make things more simple if you also replaced all those red #57 bulbs with super brite red LED's. Then that task is also done forever! Something to consider, right?!

Great idea about the LED bulbs.   On one of my old Corvettes (61) I did some under dash work, I debated replacing the bulbs (before LEDs available) They all were the original bulbs, 50+ yrs and 200,000 miles that I have owned it.   So I did...you got it, a new bulb failed in less than 6 months.   LED are of course no concern.

Thanks

Joe

I simply bought them on line. Just make sure you purchase (red of course) "supper Bright" bulbs. The spedo will illuminate the brightest due to the fact there are 2 bulbs (even though  the shop book says only one) The vacuum gage will have the worst access BUT you will get it!! Good luck !!

The Studebaker parts book on page 158 states that the car requires 7 #57R bulbs  ( part # 1557882)) DON'T you believe it , you'll need 8 to do the job!!

Funny you should ask about the "dimming" requirement ! NO you will NOT be able to dim the LED's I leave the overhead switch on bright. I did this job about 8 years ago perhaps they are dimmable today. The speedometer had 2 lights so it will be the brightest instrument at night. Only install the super bright LED's . Perhaps the newer ones will be brighter!!  Good luck  The LED in the vacuum gage is the most difficult to reach. You'll need a pain pill after you do this job BUT you'll like the results & know you'll never have to do it again !!!

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...