Who is using a FMX in their '63 or '64? I have a question

Jim 63R3984

@dynolou2 How do you adjust this up above?  I'm referring to the set screw with the jam nut on the carb linkage where it makes the 90 degree down to transmission.  My issue is when I set on the throttle to go into passing mode the engine will surge hard in and out of passing gear.  I have a feeling its in the linkage adjustment.  Just trying to figure out the best procedure. 

Jim

The top jamb nut and screw have NO correlation to throttle pressure. That is crazy controlled by the overall length of the pressure rod to the transmission lever. That is adjusted by a threaded clevis from under the car. The lever should connect inboard of where the foot linkage hooks up to the main linkage. The correct way to adjust it is to remove a pressure port plug on the transmission, and put a gauge to read the pressure. It should be 75 lbs at fast idle in gear. Adjust the length of the rod until it is in spec. Nothing else is correct, and it is just guessing.

If this is an FMX that outer lever is ONLY for passing gear.  The modulators  job is to elevate line pressure when engine vacuum drops, shift firmness and to a certain extent timing. Now remember that the carb to to cross shaft rod had a certain amount of give in it or pull back, it has spring in it, and may be releasing the lever from the kick down detent.  Are you sure that you have a ford unit in car, tag with any serial # ??  With the engine warmed up and off the choke a 19/32 drill bit should fit, see the shop manual for a picture of this.   Lou Cote

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 11:29 PM, dynolou2 said:

If this is an FMX that outer lever is ONLY for passing gear.  The modulators  job is to elevate line pressure when engine vacuum drops, shift firmness and to a certain extent timing. Now remember that the carb to to cross shaft rod had a certain amount of give in it or pull back, it has spring in it, and may be releasing the lever from the kick down detent.  Are you sure that you have a ford unit in car, tag with any serial # ??  With the engine warmed up and off the choke a 19/32 drill bit should fit, see the shop manual for a picture of this.   Lou Cote

Lou, 19/32 drill bit will fit where?  Are you referring to the jam screw clearance?  This transmission is a mystery.  It has everything point towards a FMX but has the BW tag on it.  The important info on that tags has been scratched off, not sure if that was intentional or not.  But as we know the PS did not have a modualtor.  If a FMX is or was installed does the drive shaft have to be modified to make the fit?  To be clear, does the shaft have to be shortened or lengthened at all?