Booster/master cylinder/brake pedal travel adjustment question

PackardV8

Greetings, Avantistes,

How is the brake pedal travel adjusted on a 1974?  Does the actuating rod between the booster and master cylinder have an adjustable end?

IIRC, the Studebaker models also had an eccentric on the rod from the pedal to the booster.  Was this retained through 1974s?

jack vines

Edited by PackardV8

IIRC, the rod was adjustable from the booster to the M/C. I'm not sure what you call an eccentric other than most Avanti owners..

74 brake pedal assembly. There does appear to be two mounting holes, however.

X8lFSwg.jpg

PmsrTSX.jpg

Edited by Avanti83

The adjustment between the booster and the master cylinder is critical.  Too long, brakes will not release.  Too short, pedal travel will be excessive.  The setting for the early models is shown in the shop manual.  HOWEVER, using this dimension would require that the depth of the indent in your  M/C would be the same as the original M/C.  If not, the length of the adjusted rod would need to be changed accordingly.  I don't have an original M/C handy.  Perhaps someone who has one could take a depth mic and tell us exactly how deep the indent is.  IIRC, I have seen some discussion of how some have had to make extensions to get the proper clearance between the booster rod and the M/C.   

p46.jpeg

p47.jpg

Thanks for the confirmation and the copy.  I do have the Studebaker Shop Manual, but since the '74s use a dual master cylinder, I was wondering if that changed anything in the adjustment.

IIRC, the dual master is shared with certain '70s Mopars.  Does anyone have that reference?  Might be able to confirm the adjustment from their shop manual.

jack vines