'63 Transmissions!

mfg

R1 and R2 powered '63 Studebaker Larks  equipped with an automatic transmission would have been built with a HD Flightomatic if the optional Avanti Powershift wasn't specified......True?

Edited by mfg

Some early 1963 R1/R2 Hawks got HD flightomatics. There is an early '63 R2 Hawk that used to be in NC (with the '62 style dash) that came with a HD Flightomatic. An early '63 R1 engine I have that came out of a Hawk had a HD flightomatic attached to it, wish I had gotten the tranny too. I assume that fairly early in '63 they standardized on requiring a Powershift with the R-engine Larks/Hawks if an automatic was desired, but can't trot out any specific documentation.

14 hours ago, mfg said:

R1 and R2 powered '63 Studebaker Larks  equipped with an automatic transmission would have been built with a HD Flightomatic if the optional Avanti Powershift wasn't specified......True?

Based on your wording, I will say False.  Early on Power Shift was not available on 1963 Larks.  In that time, the automatic for R series engines in a Lark would be the Heavy Duty Flightomatic.  When the Power Shift became available in Larks, not just Avantis, that would be the automatic for Larks with R series engines.

21 hours ago, studegary said:

Based on your wording, I will say False.  Early on Power Shift was not available on 1963 Larks.  In that time, the automatic for R series engines in a Lark would be the Heavy Duty Flightomatic.  When the Power Shift became available in Larks, not just Avantis, that would be the automatic for Larks with R series engines.

FALSE is the correct answer here.....but not for the reason you give!.......Can anyone else come up with the true reason this question is false?