Studebaker Nameplate on Trunk

Billy Shears

This may be a silly question...  Does anyone know what sort of fastener or nut is used to hold these on.  I know the 1/8 inch thread cutting sheet metal nuts hold on the hood ornament, the "pirate buckle" ornaments on the C pillars, and the Avanti nameplate on the front.  The Studebaker nameplate on the trunk uses smaller diameter posts, and the nuts that hold all the other emblems on are too large.  I had to get a replacement nameplate from Studebaker International, and of course it doesn't come with the fasteners.

The thin "sheet metal" speed nuts come in a variety of sizes. Head to your local parts store and buy the size you need. I had to do this when I installed the script on the back of mine.  Be very careful when you install them. Barely tight enough to stop any movement is all you need...

The script for the metal cars is different from the Avanti. The originals came out in 1956 and had rectangular mounting pins, and special barrel nuts that no other company supplied. Avant scripts have round mounting pins. I have seen flat spring steel push nuts on the pins, and also some with acorn tinerman nuts.

Good clarification, Brad. My reference to the barrel nuts being used on the script emblem came from my long-ago experience with a Golden Hawk (metal body, of course), not an Avanti. I didn't know about the difference......now I do, thanks to your post. John

8 hours ago, brad said:

The script for the metal cars is different from the Avanti. The originals came out in 1956 and had rectangular mounting pins, and special barrel nuts that no other company supplied. Avant scripts have round mounting pins. I have seen flat spring steel push nuts on the pins, and also some with acorn tinerman nuts.

The original one from my car has the rectangular mounting pins.  I think I am going to have to have it rechromed -- at considerable expense -- and reuse it after all.  I was hoping to go with the much cheaper alternative of using the repro from Studebaker International, and store the original away.  But alas, I find the repro doesn't fit right.  When installed, you can see a couple of the holes in the trunk lid around the edges of the nameplate.  The original covered those up.

• 2 weeks later...

My 63 with 23k original miles has the rectangular pins on the trunk emblem. I bought it from the original owner who stated it had never been painted prior to my ownership so I believe the emblem and its attaching hardware to be original and correct. It uses rectangular flat push nuts to affix it to the trunk. If interested NAPA carries them, made by Balkamp # 665-1905.